[New Quizzes] Delete quiz attempts

When averaging quiz attempts or when using "latest score" for a quiz, it would be helpful if instructors could delete a quiz attempt by a student. If there is a glitch, an inaccurate/ incomplete attempt shouldn't be allowed to hurt the student's grade.

In the Moderate quiz screen, clicking on a student's name shows their attempts. When viewing an attempt, there can be a button to either delete/ remove the attempt, or to not count its results.

41968_Quiz_attempts.pngQuiz_attempts.png

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

140 Comments
andybobyarchick
Community Novice

Seriously? The ability to delete a quiz attempt should be a very high priority. We were just forced to move from Moodle to Canvas, and as far as quiz management goes, it's a step backward.

hodsagi
Community Novice

I fully agree that this feature would be very useful. Dear Canvas admins, any updates on the implementation of the feature?

kschaefer
Community Novice

I agree with everything I said here!  I need this feature to help students who have technical issues, so that they don't have access to test questions and answers before taking another attempt.  I've used several platforms and this is the only one that doesn't have this feature, so I hope it is being given high priority as a feature to add!

tam203
Community Novice

This is EXTREMELY important. Please make this change ASAP in all of Canvas.

tam203
Community Novice

It doen't appear that this idea has been implemented and it was made more than two years ago. Please move on this as soon as you are able.

rbennington
Community Novice

I have just come across this thread while trying to delete a student's take.  Moderating the quiz is not the answer.  We definitely need this as an option  - all homework platforms have this option as do all LMSs that I have used.  This has been going on for more than two years.  Please just add it.

bsr
Community Contributor

I concur: moderating the quiz does not solve the problem. We need a true "delete attempt" option.

I just ran into this when classes were cancelled due to a hurricane. The quiz that I had set to be available during our usual lab time opened up as originally scheduled, and one apparently very bored student decided to attempt the quiz, even though the lab quizzes are all designed to be done in the lab while looking at a specimen. I don't know what possessed him to do it, but it ruined my ability to simply unpublish the quiz: can't unpublish now that a student has submitted it! We need a delete function!

snugent
Community Champion

I agree with all the new comments posted in the last few days. I just wanted to let everyone know that the Quizzes.Next is currently in closed beta. According to the Studio page for Quizzes.Next it should soon be available for all. I do truly hope this feature will be there right from the beginning. 

Tagging Deactivated user‌ to see if he has any insight for this request. 

wheyward
Community Participant

I am not sure if people are aware of this work around or how helpful it will be to there particular situation but it solved my problem.  I will state that I am in full agreement with the comments left up to now around the necessity and the bewilderment at the lack of this function in Canvas.  My personal experience was a student starting a quiz that was left open from when i imported it.  My issue was now all of my students had a quiz in there grade section that was reported as missing and hence lots of questions/concerns for me to alleviate. 

Solution:  Go into setting.  Select "Import course content".  Select "Copy a canvas course" from the drop down.  Select the same course you have the open quiz in and check the "Select specific content" bullet (this is important so you don't end up with copies of all of your content).  Click the Import button.  It should appear in your current jobs list with a blue "Select Content" button, click that button.  You can now go to the Quizzes selection click on the right pointing arrow and put a check next to the quiz that is currently open.  Make sure nothing else is selected.   Click the select content button and it should import a copy of the quiz (it will have the same name).  Unpublish the new version (identifiable as it is the one you can now unpublish) and erase the old version.  Hopefully this will solve some of the problems people are having until this is fixed. 

On a side note does anyone know how to get rid of an import from the current Jobs queue (I was trying to be as precise as possible in my description)?

creisch
Community Explorer

For what it's worth, I have a different reason for wanting to delete attempts. I let my students make up a missed quiz during a set period prior to the exam. When that happens, I reopen the quiz, but set it to one attempt instead of multiple attempts. Everyone who didn't take it, and therefore has no score, is able to retake it one time. However, I occasionally get a student who may have opened the quiz, didn't take it and/or submit it, and they now have a zero. That student can't retake it. If I could just click a "delete" button on that attempt. That's simpler than going in and moderating multiple students for multiple quizzes, which in my case, would be extremely time consuming. I have very large classes that take multiple short quizzes, so my method is simple, but not having the "delete" feature when I need it makes it more complicated.