[Assignments] Move or Delete Incorrectly Submitted Assignments

If a student submits an assignment to say week 2 folder when it should have been submitted to week 3, currently there is no way to move that assignment to the correct location as the Teacher.  This core functionality exists in all other LCS.LMS and should be considered for inclusion in Canvas's core modules.

Brought over from the old Canvas Community

Submitted by: Michael Black

Date: 6/3/2011

Votes: 112

292 Comments
thomas-rietz
Community Novice

Good point…we’re working on it here to get it deleted.

But, that brings up another issue with the submission. Often, when you’re submitting multiple revisions of documents (especially for a group exercise), it helps a lot for the students to be able to see prior submission…but that doesn’t seem possible in Canvas. Too bad.

thomas-rietz
Community Novice

Oh…and by the way…even after you delete the assignment…or after resubmission of an assignment, the files still show up in the group’s files section and cannot be deleted. So, re-submitting the assignment doesn’t really solve the problem…

In fact, deleting the assignment and building a new one from scratch still leaves the file in the group’s file section, so not even this solves the problem….

Tom

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Oh, I agree,  @thomas-rietz ​; issues like these notwithstanding, I think students should be able to view all of their prior submissions, not just the latest one, and I'm hopeful that Canvas will implement .

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Group files, ugh; I should have thought of that. Doing an immediate resubmission would just be a weak interim remedy to get the inappropriate submission out of plain sight until Support can handle it more cleanly.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

Seems like there are a lot of good reasons to allow instructors to be somehow given permission to remove a submitted assignment file.  Any idea of when the team will be able to take this on? 

Now we have a case where the filename has to be a certain name, a programming function name, so resubmitting and having a -1 at the end just doesn't cut it.  That's another scenario where removing a file, or being able to rename, is necessary.

thomas-rietz
Community Novice

Not being able to delete inappropriate content opens you and the institution up to enormous legal risk.  I personally think you need to fix this immediately.

thebert
Community Contributor

I would vote for this idea as optional for admins.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

jsimoneau
Community Novice

The ability to view previous assignment feedback is extremely important feature to add, particularly in the K-12 market.  Students in our middle grades frequently upload the wrong file or struggle to follow directions and/or feedback.  Educators need to be able to refer them to available feedback to complete assignments appropriately.

Students should also have the ability to delete a file submission they have made in error.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

jsimoneau​ I believe that if a student re-submits an assignment by uploading a new file(s), it replaces the existing submitted file(s) from the teacher's perspective; the former files are no longer submitted.  Although the old files will no longer be submitted, they will still be there in the students File area. This will leave comments intact. But if they are not submitting another file, it won't remove the previously submitted file, so it's not exactly a delete.