[Assignments] Move or Delete Incorrectly Submitted Assignments

If a student submits an assignment to say week 2 folder when it should have been submitted to week 3, currently there is no way to move that assignment to the correct location as the Teacher.  This core functionality exists in all other LCS.LMS and should be considered for inclusion in Canvas's core modules.

Brought over from the old Canvas Community

Submitted by: Michael Black

Date: 6/3/2011

Votes: 112

292 Comments
glink
Community Novice

I just had a student accidentally submit a midterm exam in a group assignment. It is frustrating that I don't have a way to delete the submission or move it.

wmack
Community Novice

It's very important that we get this feature in place.  We just had a student with a virus on his computer submit multiple corrupted files.  One of our professors downloaded these files and opened them on their personal computer.  We need a way to be able to remove the corrupted files from Canvas so this does not happen again.

james_sanzin
Community Champion

I would rather have a https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9261-add-a-reject-button-in-speedgrader?sr=search&searchId=cc7...‌. This would keep record of the submission that does not meet criteria, but then add the assignment back to the students "to do" list. 

sosborn
Community Novice

To be honest this is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. I have worked in numerous LMS systems and they all have a way to delete a student submission. I can't help but shake my head at the lack of this feature. It is exceptionally frustrating.

dee3
Community Novice

Good grief. I am new to Canvas, but not to LMS or MOOC. I'm not impressed. This is not a "feature." It's basic functionality. Students are just learning to use this. Assignments get submitted incorrectly all the time.

swinter
Community Champion

I want to add that the ability to delete a submission is essential. I had one student who had a PDF that speedgrader could not read (glitch in speedgrader), so I tried a bunch of different fixes until I got one to work. There is no reason she should have to keep all of those bad versions.

I had another student where I accidentally uploaded her submission in word before I uploaded in PDF. There is no reason the Word version should have to stay in her files.

I hope this gets changed so that submissions can be deleted.

swinter
Community Champion

Actually, it does not replace it. All the previous versions are accessible to the teacher in speedgrader, and the only way to tell them apart is by upload date/time.

mbristol1
Community Novice

I wish I could do this!!!  This is especially annoying when students are in a group and 1 person from the group submits the wrong thing or only their part and now it is a mess to correct the issue because the whole group's assignment submission is connected.  I love the group assignments, but hate the fact I can't delete student submissions!

It would be nice to have this feature!

callinger
Community Participant

I'm pretty shocked that this isn't possible. I've never heard of an LMS that doesn't allow even the instructor to delete or re-set assignment submissions. This actually makes the only-one submission type of assignment pretty worthless since you'll end up having to keep straight which submissions have been revised and emailed to you and which are still only submitted in Canvas.

This isn't just a feature request; this is a design flaw that needs to be addressed immediately. 

aleverton
Community Participant

Adding to the justification for this, we have a student who uploaded an HTML link instead of the Word file (there was no restriction) but now when the instructor tries to enter SpeedGrader, the page gets hung up and she can't do anything. The student has resubmitted but it doesn't seem to matter. The instructor still gets hung up (as do I - the admin) so we can't grade or attach comments on the correct item. This is extremely problematic.