cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete submissions by students

Delete submissions by students

(17)
Hello!

A situation recently came up in class where we wanted to remove a submission that a student uploaded to an assignment. We were told by support that "the only way to do that is to remove the assignment completely from the course," which isn't the most convenient thing (because then we delete other submissions by other students).

It would be useful to have an option for faculty and TAs to delete submissions for individual students.

Thank you!

133 Comments
mbristol1
Community Member

I wish I could do this!!!  This is especially annoying when students are in a group and 1 person from the group submits the wrong thing or only their part and now it is a mess to correct the issue because the whole group's assignment submission is connected.  I love the group assignments, but hate the fact I can't delete student submissions!

It would be nice to have this feature!

callinger
Explorer II

I'm pretty shocked that this isn't possible. I've never heard of an LMS that doesn't allow even the instructor to delete or re-set assignment submissions. This actually makes the only-one submission type of assignment pretty worthless since you'll end up having to keep straight which submissions have been revised and emailed to you and which are still only submitted in Canvas.

This isn't just a feature request; this is a design flaw that needs to be addressed immediately. 

aleverton
Surveyor

Adding to the justification for this, we have a student who uploaded an HTML link instead of the Word file (there was no restriction) but now when the instructor tries to enter SpeedGrader, the page gets hung up and she can't do anything. The student has resubmitted but it doesn't seem to matter. The instructor still gets hung up (as do I - the admin) so we can't grade or attach comments on the correct item. This is extremely problematic.

bbilderback
Surveyor

I concur that teachers ought to be able to unravel messes that students inadvertently create.  I work in a High School with shared classroom devices, and routinely students forget to log out or check if they are in their own accounts.  I also work with second language learners and want to be able to assist them in my classes and across the curriculum with their "goofs"

rarook
Community Member

It would also be helpful if students can delete their own file submissions. I recently submitted a java file for a programming course in Canvas, I ended up needing to resubmit after making changes to my code. When I made the submission a second time, my java files had the convenient "-1" added to the end of their file names. For most, this is a helpful feature if you cannot recall which version of a file you submitted first. However for a program file, such as my .java files, this feature will cause the java program not to compile or run correctly if it is downloaded from canvas with that amended file name. Giving students the power to rename or delete previous submissions for an assignment could be very useful in cases where the submitted file name is important. It would be easy for a grader to overlook this naming issue when downloading a student's submission, and then take off points for the student's program seeming to have errors.

jcorliss
Community Member

I agree with Rebecca, I believe students should also have the capability to delete their own submissions. This would certainly save students like me from a great deal of frustration. Thank you!

nancy_lachance
Community Member

Another use case - A student in a nursing course inadvertently uploaded confidential patient information from a real person. Obviously this is an infringement of HIPAA laws, and we had to seek Canvas help to get it completely removed.  It would be really nice to know we have the ability to get a document such as this off the platform as quickly as possible.   I would think this kind of thing could happen in any class where students might have access to private information. 

jochumb
Community Member

With my class students start and stop and different times (an internship).   Therefore they are submitting at different times which poses some different challenges with grading.  A student submitted Assignment B where Assignment C was to go.  I have to keep going back to see if she has submitted it (because it shows something is there) -- instead of just removing it and then going back to it when the correct document is there.

Also, there have been times when a student does such a poor job fulling the requirements of an assignment that in Blackboard I would just remove it and tell them to resubmit.  Can't do that in Canvas.   This is needed to manage the class better.  I read through other comments and there are many reasons why an instructor might need this option. 

A student makes a mistake and attaches the wrong document, it needs to be an option to remove it.

jochumb
Community Member

Agree.  I hope it can be added soon!  I need it now.

a1637166
Community Member

We have come across the personal information issue at our institution already and then just today, a student seemed to have submitted a corrupt file which froze Speed grader and made it impossible for the academic to continue marking (you had to close the browser).

I agree there are some potential problems, I think it would be good for certain roles to have the ability to delete submissions, not just any teaching staff. Or for the University to set this themselves. 

ronmarx
Community Member

I'm surprised I didn't notice this idea long, long ago. All users, including students, should have the power to delete and modify their own submissions until a deadline, if applicable. Currently, students have to post subsequent, iterative submissions, which is a clunky workaround to what is obviously a systemic functional omission.

nancy_lachance
Community Member

I have been pondering on the ability to delete submissions, and I think this ability should not be available to students -- only to instructors. I can see instances in which a student submits a paper that is clearly plagiarized and then wants to withdraw the evidence - and make just enough changes to mask the origin. I like the option to see the previous version if I so choose. If the student wishes for me to remove (or reject) a submission, I would like to be able to review  before doing so.  That does sound kind of power-driven, but I just want to understand the issue before all evidence disappears. 

stefan_hohenber
Community Member

In my case this is not a question about a good idea or  a special feature. This could be a question about data security. If a student ask the Instructor or an Admin to delete a submission we just need the possibility to do so. Every user has the right to ask for his data and has the right to ask for the deletion of her or his data. That's the way it is prescribed by European law.

Until now I have to delete all assignments because of the restrictions inside of canvas.

cms_hickss
Learner II

I haven't seen this mentioned, and if it was I apologize for the duplicate. But, if the deleting of assignment submissions is a allowed, I would like a way that an Admin could:

• track who did it
  • when it was done
  • restore it if necessary

Because I can easily see an accident where there are two students with either the same name or a similar name and the wrong submission is deleted. If the submission was not an upload but a "type and go text" submission the student would not be able to re-upload/submit it easily. 

hburgiel
Surveyor

Another use case -- for program assessment we ask students to remove all identifying information from the artifacts they submit.  It would be nice to be able to remove submissions that aren't properly anonymized.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

tfoster5
Surveyor

Another LMS I worked with had a "Return to Student" option that was very handy.

hvaughn
Learner II

Currently, files that have been submitted as part of an assignment cannot be deleted. We just had an incident where we realized this needs to change.  Without going into detail other than to say HIPAA protected information was accidentally submitted, I'd like to request to allow both students and admins (or at least admins) be able to delete files that have been accidentally submitted to an assignment. Deleting the assignment is not an option.

pchaney
Surveyor

Admins need to have the capability to delete submissions/content - now If it takes additional time to make this both an admin and student feature, we should separate this into two features, one for admins (which should be implemented immediately), and another for students, which could take longer to work out (if needed). This way, teachers could request Canvas Admins at their institution remove submissions now as a workaround until the student feature can be figured out. At least there would be some method available for removing content quickly, other than submitting a ticket to Canvas Support and being placed in a queue.

stefan_hohenber
Community Member

I think technically we do not need to sperate this tasks. Because it’s the same process or functionality. Finally it’s an easy function and it’s all about to enable different user groups.

I think students own their work and should have the right to delete their own submissions. Maybe everything we all need is to archive such a possibility for students. So the teachers/admins could ask the specific student to delete her or his assignment. Also in this way we have no problems with the data security here in Europe.