[Assignments] Move or Delete Incorrectly Submitted Assignments

If a student submits an assignment to say week 2 folder when it should have been submitted to week 3, currently there is no way to move that assignment to the correct location as the Teacher.  This core functionality exists in all other LCS.LMS and should be considered for inclusion in Canvas's core modules.

Brought over from the old Canvas Community

Submitted by: Michael Black

Date: 6/3/2011

Votes: 112

292 Comments
rraffaele
Community Novice

I agree with most of the people that have already commented. This would make life much easier!

joe_greene
Community Participant

As usual, Canvas is more interested in rolling out terrible beta versions of new tools (Quizzes.Next is still pathetic) instead of fixing basic issues that should have been done right in the first place. It's a shame that they clearly either a) don't have instructional designers as part of their process or b) don't listen to the ones they have.

Overall, Canvas has some nice functionality and the UI is excellent, but there are major holes in the code that show they didn't think about educators or students as much as they did about being pretty and mobile friendly.

jvincent3
Community Novice

I will spare the entire list of details here and supply a small situation which brought me to this response. 

I teach photography... A female student in my class uploaded an image on accident to an assignment that was then supposed to be peer reviewed. By the time she realized the photo was not meant for distribution it was already being peer reviewed. I removed all peer reviews from the peer review list but she is unable to remove the photo and so am I or anyone else. 

This is a privacy issue. However, SOMEONE should be able to delete and remove a file. Minimally an educator in charge of the course. 

sgerdes
Community Novice

I third grade and have the same issue as Kelly Meeusen. Students have posted a correct answer to one assignment...but in a different assignment. ugh! The students are young, and it would be so much quicker if I could just most if for them to rectify the problem. I've also had the situation where a student posted his answers into a "Homework Assignment" that I inadvertently had left published but which was just a sample assignment posted by tech in my district. He was the only one to have done that, and I'd like to transfer his answers to the correct assignment and unpublish the example assignment. (I don't want to delete it b/c it had some clever graphics I'd like to keep.) THIS is why we need a "transfer" as well as "delete" feature. Many of us are new at Canvas (teachers and students alike), and these issues come up. If this feature has been added, please let me know! I'd love to utilize it! Thank-you! 🙂 

brent_scholar
Community Participant

As we all shifted to online, this is something that is really necessary. I feel as an instructor I should be able to delete a submission at the minimum to support students and to fix incorrect data uploads or wrong places. There is no reason for Canvas to dictate they want all submissions saved. IF that is the case and they will not budge, then create a clear assignment option, so faculty can clear it out and it "appears" deleted at least. We are in M2 and student updated in a follow up assignment in M6. Now if I give no points the entire grade is skewed and since it is a live link to an E-Portfolio, I won't know when I should evaluate. Also, unless I fake grade it, it will show up in my to do list, which I do not want to see stuff in. Canvas stop creating new stuff and fix the old stuff we have been asking for. If not then shut your community requests down since often times you don't listen.

richard_gardner
Community Participant

I’ll get people submitting new assignments over top of old ones, in the wrong place. So then it looks like the old assignment, which I’ve already graded, needs to be graded again. If I give it the same grade, however, Canvas thinks it is late and then takes off late points. All because a student submitted a new assignment to the wrong assignment that he’s already submitted to. I agree, I don’t know what new features Canvas is adding, but they need to fix this, the stupid attendance feature, and the extra stupid quizzes next which doesn’t give partial credit to matching questions. As far as “often times you don’t listen” as mentioned by the previous poster, I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen a time when Canvas has listened.

marthazumack
Community Contributor

A 'transfer' would be so helpful if students and/or teachers had access to it! We have some very young students who repeatedly upload assignments to the wrong course.

RobDitto
Community Champion

@marthazumack ‌, agreed! There's a different long-running feature idea which I believe focuses on the transfer possibility:

Steven_S
Community Champion

I expect that avoiding the option to delete an incorrect submission, is the influence of course designers trying to use canvas to stop instructors from doing things that the course designers fear might violate policies.  However, both course designers and canvas should listen when we say that "use the same grade" is not the same as "disregard this submission" when interacting with the late policy.  Disregarding rather than deleting is something that should be allowed without any objection.

helena_lovasz-b
Community Novice

I've recently had a student who accidentally uploaded a sensitive, private document (he want to just test it and did not realise that it could not be deleted) and was then horrified that noone could remove it. Having students deleting documents themselves can lead to problems, but allowing the faculty to do it is important.