cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete submissions by students

Delete submissions by students

(29)
Hello!

A situation recently came up in class where we wanted to remove a submission that a student uploaded to an assignment. We were told by support that "the only way to do that is to remove the assignment completely from the course," which isn't the most convenient thing (because then we delete other submissions by other students).

It would be useful to have an option for faculty and TAs to delete submissions for individual students.

Thank you!

142 Comments
zwenneke
Surveyor

@candydrabek Why I woud like to delete an assignment of a student? Because when they upload a document meant for not being graded in an assignment that should be graded, is it confusing for the teachers who grade. 

It would help me a lot: when there is nothing, I don;t have to grade something. When there is an upload, I need to grade. The assignment is open all times, but they should upload the final assignment after doing certain other things. I have that overview, but other teacher's don't have that overview. So, I would like to delete the document or let the student remove the document. It is annoying that that is not an option.

Eaton03
Surveyor

I am a new Canvas this year.  I have search Canvas community and the earliest help question for this dilemma that I could find has been circulating since 2011.

I am a middle school teacher struggling with multiple submission to the wrong assignment during virtual education because of the pandemic .    And students are struggling to identify which assignments are which after they have submitted the wrong assignment.  Student frustration is really and they know how to show it.  They can resubmit assignments but can not see the previous uploaded assignment when they check submission details.  This lead to multiple assignment that are visible to the teacher only and time consuming to identify the correct submission to grade for the teacher.  I am working to have student label their submission prior to attaching or to double check before they summit.  Nonetheless this will happen accidentally or intentionally.

I have used another LMS system that allow removal of the incorrectly submitted assignment by having student's  to unsubmit an assignment then resubmit for the teacher to grade their work.  This LMS allows teachers to skip the student's submission that was not submitted to the correct assignment and only grade the assignments done correctly and return the graded work to the other students.  The student then could go back in and delete and resubmit for the teacher to grade.  This does mean that the teacher and student had to come up with a notification system after the work was completed correctly.  Student would simply notify the teacher in comment section of the assignment or email the teacher that the assignment was corrected and the work would then be graded by the teacher.  Solution to notification for both systems:  The LMS system can have a check box that student can select to notifying teacher that the work has been correct.  This would alert the teacher to check because the work is highlighted a different color in the grade book just like the color indicator in Canvas for late, missing and excused assignments.  I hope this can be implemented.  

Canvas has a lot of fantastic features that other LMS systems do not have.  Delete and Resubmit function is crucial to make Canvas user friendlier.

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 11.40.17 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-24 at 11.40.37 AM.png

Another LMS system

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 11.44.52 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-24 at 11.47.17 AM.png

AndrewHoffman
Surveyor

I too would like to remove errant student submissions. It's a common-sense way to keep the grading clean, and I know students would appreciate that too as they get anxious if they know they submitted an assignment incorrectly. Also, as long as there are time stamps to log activity, I have no problem with students being able to do this themselves.

dave_perry
Surveyor

I can't seem to the vote for the idea (this new interface really isn't intuitive), but a tutor has just asked me if this can be done. So voting it up in a comment on their behalf

carriebucklin
Surveyor

I know this thread is a bit old, but I have found I'm in need to delete a submission by a student in terms of group work issues. I put students into project groups. I have a group called "other" for when students haven't been active in class. One of those students (SA) came and started participating more. They were given a group to join. However, I didn't have time to move them in the Canvas groups before they submitted a group assignment. So SA submitted an assignment that populates in the "other" group, which they are no longer a part of. A member of their new group (GA) submitted the assignment, so SA will get a correct score for their work with GA. However, the members of "other" can see their assignment and it looks like an assignment has been submitted for them, when in fact it has not. 

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team
Comments from Instructure

Followers of this thread might be interested in the new admin functionality in the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-12-02) - Canvas Community:

For admin roles, SpeedGrader displays a Delete button next to submission files. This change allows admins to manage inappropriate or submissions or submissions that otherwise need to be removed from a course.

zwenneke
Surveyor

I searched for it, but I could not find that button yet. Or, it will be there in a few weeks?

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@zwenneke You should be able to see it in your beta instance and in live instances when the deploy is released to production.

burger2go
Surveyor

It is really absurd to me that teachers cannot correct errant submissions without having to send a list of corrections to our Canvas Admin.

3 different situations I am trying to fix:

1. Students upload a blank unedited version of a document, and the grade pages shows it is submitted. - Discussion: in this virtual realm with most students still novices at file management, I have issues with students downloading an assignment, working the assignment, and then uploading the original page. Many of our students we never get to talk to face to face. So - they think they have submitted the assignment, and it just isn't grade. If I could delete it, I could get them to understand they made a mistake and correct it.

2. Students upload the wrong file as a submission. See above.

3. Recently had to build in "substitute lessons" and have them up on Canvas ready if as sub takes over. The issue is some of my hard charging students did the work without the instruction (they do not see the big banner "DO NOT DO THIS ASSIGNMET UNLESS DIRECTED BY SUBSTITUTE" - and now they will have issues if there is an actual substitute - they will think they did it.

Deleting a submission is no different than handing a paper pack to a student and telling them to correct and resubmit - so why is this feature not available? Makes no sense...

zwenneke
Surveyor

A beta version, I don't see that. And again, new course starting and things go wrong again. Especially in these online days, I would like to have things simple. That delete button would make my life easier. 

Clean and simple. 

zwenneke
Surveyor

I need to be more precise: I see the betaversion, but I cannot see ANY submissions there, so also no one to delete.

sgenow
Surveyor

As an admin, I do see the delete trash can, but even after the assignment is deleted, it still remains in the teacher's todo list. This cause some of my teachers lots of angst as they always want that to read zero. Teachers not only want to delete submission that have been submitted to the incorrect course or assignment, but in other LMS platforms, teachers could move the submission to the correct location in their course. 

This is an essential tool for teachers, please implement this!!

BethKeech
Surveyor

I would like the ability to remove student submissions, particularly in group assignments. I recently had a student mistakenly post something to a group assignment. Unfortunately, since it was a group assignment, the other members of the student's group could see what was submitted (it was very inappropriate and offensive). Needless to say, my school's IT department created a workaround so that the other students could not longer see it, but it was a very cumbersome process, and exposed another student to the offensive submission. I like the idea of Group Assignments but this has definitely made me fearful of using it again. I'm not sure why this is a limitation as a teacher.

On another note, it would have also worked if I could "hide" the assignment so that students no longer could access it. It is my understand that, provided that students have submitted work, you cannot "hide" an assignment. This, too, seems like a silly limitation - I am not sure why it is one.

karost
Surveyor

It would benefit the instructor to be able to unsubmit an assignment that was submitted in the wrong place.  

zwenneke
Surveyor

I don;t think I have an admin account (why so complicated?). Where can I see that and how can I change that? In the beta version, no bin showed up and no button to delete as well. So, what now? I am a bit desperate.

Just let us as teacher delete or replace assignments!!!!

Now, I need to delete full assignments to get rid of the wrong submissions. But, when one person handed in the right things, the trick does not work anymore. It would really make my work so much easier. 

DebbieJohnson
Surveyor

Many students are still submitting blank documents or unrelated documents so that it appears to their parents that the work has been completed. It would be helpful to be able to return these assignments so that they can not play this game and actually submit the work.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@DebbieJohnson This conversation is specific to deleting a student's submission. You'll be happy to know that instructors will be able to reassign assignments to students for redo effective with the Canvas Release Notes (2021-03-20)

WhyThis
Surveyor II

I have multiple cases. 

For some exercises I ask for more than one file to be submitted and some students submit each file separately. This then uses up their quota. 

Many students seem to upload on impulse or as soon as they are "done" and then realise that they weren't done. The deadline hasn't passed and so they want to upload their finished version. I'm all for saying "tough luck" but try that one at a university where funding is directly connected to ECTS points.  

theresa_jarvis
Surveyor II

How is this still a thing so many years later? At least at the lower levels we need a delete option for multiple reasons: the students are gaming the system to trick their parents, they turn in incomplete assignments are just with their name and need to show as a missing assignment, they have made mistakes in uploading the docs, and probably more I can't think of. 

Please fix this. 

JanGelech
Surveyor

i was just informed that if a student submits an assignment, it cannot be removed.  the student does not want to resubmit - rather to remove the submission altogether (it was optional).

please add this very obvious feature.