cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete submissions by students

Delete submissions by students

(25)
Hello!

A situation recently came up in class where we wanted to remove a submission that a student uploaded to an assignment. We were told by support that "the only way to do that is to remove the assignment completely from the course," which isn't the most convenient thing (because then we delete other submissions by other students).

It would be useful to have an option for faculty and TAs to delete submissions for individual students.

Thank you!

140 Comments
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yes, yes, yes to what  @millerjm  said! Especially this permission not being bundled with something else!

jsparks
Instructure
Instructure

The team is furiously working on the Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine . We will consider this idea for future development when we are able to focus on assignments within Canvas.  For now, this idea is a part of my backlog for future development.

Jason

marthazumack
Learner II

This happens to us about once every 2-3 months. It's quite frustrating!

dgreene
Surveyor

Hi Everyone!

I know I am late to this party and voting has already closed, but here is my 2 cents. I had a student accidentally submit the wrong assignment to the wrong drop box. The assignment was not due for at least another week and I wanted to make a quick change to the groups it was assigned to. Of course, couldn't do it since she had submitted. Normally, I would not have two assignments open for submission, but this is a summer compressed schedule so things are moving fast. It would have been very helpful for me to be able to remove her submission and edit the assignment, rather than removing the assignment and creating a new one. Not a major thing, but something that could have been made easier if I had been able to make that change.

thomas-rietz
Surveyor

I have a student who revealed confidential information in a group dropbox file.  It can now be seen by all members of the group.  It has to be taken down and there appears to be no way to do it.  I can see the same thing happening if a student puts inflammatory or other inappropriate remarks in a submitted file. 

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@thomas-rietz , have you contacted Canvas Support about this? They might be able to help. Also, if someone were to masquerade as one of the students in the group and immediately resubmit something--anything--new to the group assignment, students would no longer be able to see the previous submission that contained the confidential information, although you still could.

thomas-rietz
Surveyor

Good point…we’re working on it here to get it deleted.

But, that brings up another issue with the submission. Often, when you’re submitting multiple revisions of documents (especially for a group exercise), it helps a lot for the students to be able to see prior submission…but that doesn’t seem possible in Canvas. Too bad.

thomas-rietz
Surveyor

Oh…and by the way…even after you delete the assignment…or after resubmission of an assignment, the files still show up in the group’s files section and cannot be deleted. So, re-submitting the assignment doesn’t really solve the problem…

In fact, deleting the assignment and building a new one from scratch still leaves the file in the group’s file section, so not even this solves the problem….

Tom

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Oh, I agree,  @thomas-rietz ​; issues like these notwithstanding, I think students should be able to view all of their prior submissions, not just the latest one, and I'm hopeful that Canvas will implement .

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Group files, ugh; I should have thought of that. Doing an immediate resubmission would just be a weak interim remedy to get the inappropriate submission out of plain sight until Support can handle it more cleanly.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Adventurer

Seems like there are a lot of good reasons to allow instructors to be somehow given permission to remove a submitted assignment file.  Any idea of when the team will be able to take this on? 

Now we have a case where the filename has to be a certain name, a programming function name, so resubmitting and having a -1 at the end just doesn't cut it.  That's another scenario where removing a file, or being able to rename, is necessary.

thomas-rietz
Surveyor

Not being able to delete inappropriate content opens you and the institution up to enormous legal risk.  I personally think you need to fix this immediately.

thebert
Community Member

I would vote for this idea as optional for admins.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

jsimoneau
Surveyor

The ability to view previous assignment feedback is extremely important feature to add, particularly in the K-12 market.  Students in our middle grades frequently upload the wrong file or struggle to follow directions and/or feedback.  Educators need to be able to refer them to available feedback to complete assignments appropriately.

Students should also have the ability to delete a file submission they have made in error.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Adventurer

jsimoneau​ I believe that if a student re-submits an assignment by uploading a new file(s), it replaces the existing submitted file(s) from the teacher's perspective; the former files are no longer submitted.  Although the old files will no longer be submitted, they will still be there in the students File area. This will leave comments intact. But if they are not submitting another file, it won't remove the previously submitted file, so it's not exactly a delete.

wmack
Community Member

It's very important that we get this feature in place.  We just had a student with a virus on his computer submit multiple corrupted files.  One of our professors downloaded these files and opened them on their personal computer.  We need a way to be able to remove the corrupted files from Canvas so this does not happen again.

james_sanzin
Community Member

I would rather have a https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9261-add-a-reject-button-in-speedgrader?sr=search&searchId=cc7...‌. This would keep record of the submission that does not meet criteria, but then add the assignment back to the students "to do" list. 

swinter
Community Member

I want to add that the ability to delete a submission is essential. I had one student who had a PDF that speedgrader could not read (glitch in speedgrader), so I tried a bunch of different fixes until I got one to work. There is no reason she should have to keep all of those bad versions.

I had another student where I accidentally uploaded her submission in word before I uploaded in PDF. There is no reason the Word version should have to stay in her files.

I hope this gets changed so that submissions can be deleted.

swinter
Community Member

Actually, it does not replace it. All the previous versions are accessible to the teacher in speedgrader, and the only way to tell them apart is by upload date/time.