[Assignments] Move or Delete Incorrectly Submitted Assignments

If a student submits an assignment to say week 2 folder when it should have been submitted to week 3, currently there is no way to move that assignment to the correct location as the Teacher.  This core functionality exists in all other LCS.LMS and should be considered for inclusion in Canvas's core modules.

Brought over from the old Canvas Community

Submitted by: Michael Black

Date: 6/3/2011

Votes: 112

292 Comments
KAilsa_Rowan
Community Novice

Another use case is if a student submitted inappropriate content, e.g. to a peer-reviewed assignment. Faculty could remove the inappropriate content to lessen the effect on other students.

However the most common use case is definitely when students submit the wrong assignment---e.g. they accidentally submit their formal paper to the journal assignment. They may re-submit the formal paper in the right place, but then the tracking about whether the journal assignment has been fulfilled will be misleading. In these situations I really want to be able to remove the wrongly submitted assignment so that the tracking will be correct.

ep8736
Community Novice

As a student, I have multiple thoughts on this matter. I did an online course one time, and I had to wait to move on to the rest of the module until the teacher graded the submission. I am nervous about a teacher being able to delete a submission without the student's knowledge because if the teacher had something against the student, they could delete the assignment and claim they didn't. The solution there would be a log that shows the student deleted submissions, as well as two dialog boxes (since many people don't actually read them) confirming the deletion.

John_Lowe
Community Champion

Why make them mute it instead?  Make muting an option if you want, but make deletion an option too.  There are times when an institution may really want a submission gone from the LMS in all possible ways.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Eric.  Thank you so much for sharing the student perspective and broadening our lens of use cases here.  We really appreciate it!

amberh
Community Novice

That is a good point. I love this feature idea, but if we could include this function into the User Permissions options then each school could control which roles have access to performing this function ( Help Admins, Teachers, T.A.'s, Students) I can see this curing a lot of concerns.

ep8736
Community Novice

I think that it would be even better if it was a course creator's choice. The school may be concerned about teacher integrity, but that problem is solvable by a deletion log that is visible to all that can view the page, no matter who can delete submissions.

sgriffith
Community Contributor

Another use case scenario...

Instructor used Crocodocs to grade the assignment, put a lot of work into it and has a lot of great inline comments on there! Student accidentally resubmits assignment. Now the student can't see the original submission with all those awesome comments, only the resubmitted assignment.

If this feature was implemented the instructor could easily remove the accidentally resubmitted assignment and the student could then see all the feedback the instructor left on the original submission.

The alternative feature idea for this use case scenario would be to create the option for students to toggle between all assignments submitted, like instructors and admin can.

ezaurova
Community Participant

Is that true??  I hadn't realized that students couldn't cycle through their submissions like we can.

kona
Community Champion

@ezaurova ​, yes, this is absolutely correct. As soon as students resubmit to an assignment they can't see previous submissions, including any feedback you might have provided on the original assignment. Here is the feature idea for this -

sgriffith
Community Contributor

Thanks for including that previous feature request,  @kona ​!