Deleting assignments from closed grading periods

0 Likes
(1)

It would be great if instructors had the option to delete assignments from closed grading periods. After awhile, the assignments page gets quite difficult to mange and very overwhelming especially for young students, when instructors can't delete assignments from previous grading periods. 

I also recently meant to import ONE assignment from another course, but accidentally imported all of the assignments. Now I am not able to delete any of the assignments because they are all from closed grading periods. Now I have an additional 108 assignments that I can't do anything about. This has completely affected my assignments page and gradebook as well. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@mrsgan 

Thanks for sharing this idea. While we have moved it forward for broader discussion, please know that the functionality that does not allow instructors to delete assignments from past grading periods is by design, as it preserves the integrity of the record for that period; deleting an assignment from a closed grading period could have the unintended consequence of removing students' participation and grades for that assignment. We recommend that you ask your local Canvas admin for their recommendation, as they might be able to help you delete those unwanted assignments.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@mrsgan Also, here's an active conversation that approaches the problem statement from a different angle: Undo Course Imports 

vikitolson
Community Member

I understand not deleting assignments from a closed grading period for integrity of records. However the issue is when accidently importing those closed assignments from another grading period or past semester into the current course. This needs to be addressed, in my opinion it is a major flaw in the usability for teachers. In fact the default for importing assignments should be to CLEAR the due dates to avoid this issue. 

J_Randall
Community Member

I accidentally just did this same thing and came here to see if there was a way to fix it. I hope that Canvas finds a way to help with this issue.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.