Deleting in Chat

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. November 4, 2015 - Wed. February 3, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I think that the chat feature is a very cool idea.  I am worried, however, that the history can never be removed.  If anything inappropriate or offensive is shared, I think the person in a 'teacher' or 'admin' role should be able to remove some of the history.  Just something to think about with any update.

Thank you.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9116-canvas-production-release-notes-2017-04-01 .

28 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. November 4, 2015 - Wed. February 3, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

mcremer
Community Novice

I feel this is an important privacy issue.  Instructors should be able to delete messages in a chat.  

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I have to agree that there due to potential privacy issues, some students & even faculty don't realize that what they post is public and available to anyone in their class, there should be an option to delete chat messages.

bbrown8
Community Novice

I agree that as instructors we should have the ability to delete comments which may have accidentally or inappropriately posted. I think most students and instructors have learned through online posting that their submissions can be edited in the event something was inadvertently posted. Chat may be used more frequently if it is able to be edited. I am hesitant to use it because it cannot be edited.

mhays
Community Novice

As long as you can maintain and access a permanent chat log, then the publicly viewable chat messages should contain a "delete message" feature for instructors. In our case, an instructor was overwhelmed by inappropriate messages in an alternative tool that were not tied to a user's identifiable account information, so it was distracting students who had legitimate questions.

If Canvas can add a "delete message" feature to their built-in chat tool, that will give instructors more moderation control over the chat sessions. Students will eventually learn what is and is not tolerated in their course. And they can be held accountable for it.

kristin_bayless
Community Contributor

This is the reason why our district is not currently using chat.  Instructor ability to delete chat posts is very important.

jtraczykiewicz
Community Member

At times comments are posted that may appear mundane but have an alternate meaning. These comments then are saved and places a teacher and/or student in a difficult situation. A delete function to me appears as if it should be a generic feature as students are using this feature.

asatkins
Community Novice

We're in the same boat.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

165918_pastedImage_9.png

Thank You for taking the time and energy to submit and discuss your idea. Your feedback helps our product teams prioritize feature development so we can build a product you will love. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to stay invested in Feature Ideas process of making Canvas better!

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

Since this idea was archived I thought those that voted for it might want to take a look at the new similar idea that has opened for voting: