Deleting in Chat

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. November 4, 2015 - Wed. February 3, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I think that the chat feature is a very cool idea.  I am worried, however, that the history can never be removed.  If anything inappropriate or offensive is shared, I think the person in a 'teacher' or 'admin' role should be able to remove some of the history.  Just something to think about with any update.

Thank you.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9116-canvas-production-release-notes-2017-04-01 .

28 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

If you found this feature idea compelling you might also want to go bookmark , which was just added to the queue for the next voting cycle.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is one of the lucky ones that was selected to get a little more time for voting as part of our evolution of the feature idea process.   It was selected because of it's vote count and/or comment thread.  

*Selection criteria: Most (not all) ideas that received 70+ votes in their initial voting round.

eabshire
Community Novice

People text all of the time anymore.  And that's what the chat function really is, texting.  I don't think not using it is the best of ideas.  Millenials love to text, so this is a good form of communication for them if it is used correctly.  It sparks collaboration, which is needed in an online environment.  A permanent record that cannot be edited should be maintained for legal use if need be.  But a delete feature for the teacher should be fine as along as that permanent log is kept in tact.

jsennett
Community Novice

I'm sorry, but we are NOT talking about an improvement here. We are talking about correcting a ridiculous oversight. The inability to control content renders the chat room completely useless. I do not use it precisely because students can post anything and I can't control it. And it simply CANNOT be a difficult workaround. We are not asking you to IMPROVE Canvas. We are asking you to FIX it.

eabshire
Community Novice

James, I wouldn't not use it just because you can't control it.  Simply make the rules of use crystal clear in writing.  Also, make sure that within those rules the students know that a permanent record remains on file indefinitely, and that you can check it whenever you like.  This way there is no excuse for posting inappropriate material.  As I mentioned before, it is really no different than texting on phones, and we can't control that.  If used properly it is a good tool for collaboration as millennials love texting.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @eabshire 

I have to agree! I have never understood the concept of punishing all because of the behavior of the very few.  I have made extensive use of Chat for 4+ years, and have never experienced an instance of bad/inappropriate behavior. Many examples of students who challenge me, but I encourage that.

KLM

jsennett
Community Novice

​Having the option to delete won't affect those of you who already use

chat. You won't be forced to delete posts. I am uncomfortable without

control over any feature of Canvas. You are free to think what you will

about that, but all I'm asking for is an option.

"When you get older you realize there are no answers - only stories."

--Garrison Keillor

Dr. James F. Sennett

Professor of Business Ethics

Coordinator of Business Programs

Brenau University, South Atlanta Campus

314 NW Broad Street

Fairburn, GA 30213

678-827-7300 x108

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 3:09 PM, kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu <

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

I know that we asked for the option to remove/hide or delete certain chat transcripts because after our migration Teachers were using chat to hold open office hours (as they could in our previous LMS which a chat could be limited to the number of people in the room) and grades are considered FERPA protected here.

Also, we've had a few students are "dirty laundry" about other students. A classroom chat really isn't the place for that. Nor is it a place for cyber stalking or cyber bullying. While we can't stop someone from typing it, we should be able to remove it or hide it once it has occurred. 

eabshire
Community Novice

True, removing it would be good...as long as a permanent record remain (out of sight from students) for potential legal purposes.  We can't babysit students with everything that they do, especially college students.  At this point they are becoming adults.  They have the ability to text, email, etc. whether we open the chat feature or not anyway.  At some point people have to be held responsible for their own actions.  So if they know the class/school/university policies going into the chat room, and they break the rules, the appropriate action needs to be taken immediately (once it has been brought to the appropriate person's attention).  I would bet that if all of this is stated clearly up front, you would have very few break the rules and have many that would use the room for the correct reasons, collaboration.  Will there be some that use it inappropriately....of course.   But those can be dealt with accordingly.

This brings up another idea.  If someone does use it inappropriately, a "block" feature would be nice.  That way they could be blocked from using this feature anymore while attending that particular school.

jsennett
Community Novice

I'm with Eric! Excellent points all around. And it does make the whole

thing a bigger job than I first envisioned. But his explication just

strengthens the argument for the delete option, so it all evens out.

"When you get older you realize there are no answers - only stories."

--Garrison Keillor

Dr. James F. Sennett

Professor of Business Ethics

Coordinator of Business Programs

Brenau University, South Atlanta Campus

314 NW Broad Street

Fairburn, GA 30213

678-827-7300 x108

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 9:49 AM, eabshire@uab.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>