Design/add "next"button nearer to "Submit Comment" in SpeedGrader

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

As insignificant as it may seem, it would be nice if I could enter a grade in speed grader, write a comment and submit, AND goto the next student all from the right side dialogue box.

Currently I have to drag the mouse up to the top left corner each time (or is there a trick I am missing?).

16 Comments
Beth_Young
Community Contributor

I agree! A couple of people have pointed this out in other feature requests:

​  (archived)

​ (archived)

Maybe the ergonomics of speedgrader will be improved in Canvas Studio: Speedgrader 2.0 ​ . Canvas just fixed that problem of pesky dashes in the score boxes, so I have high hopes. Smiley Happy In the meantime, I'll vote for this idea when it opens.

cwendt
Community Champion

This is a good idea; I plan to vote on it.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

pastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea submission.  As Beth has already done, we wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period.  It may contain valuable discussion and insight as this discussion moves through the voting process. Also, be sure to check out/comment on the related doc that Beth shared. 😉 Canvas Studio: Speedgrader 2.0

We also encourage you to check out this article that can help you maximize the exposure and support of your Feature Idea: How do I write a good feature idea submission?

Another similar idea that you may be interested in, which is currently up for voting is:

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello  @Beth_Young ​ and  @cwendt ​ - You can do exactly what you are looking to do and I should have mentioned the Speedgrader shortcuts before. My apologies!

I encourage you both to go check out this video I put together to address your concerns...

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Thanks, Deactivated user​! I didn't know how to get to the shortcuts so your video is a big help. I just tried them out. It is definitely more ergonomic to click "Update scores," click the right panel, type "j" than it was to click "Update scores" and mouse up to the next student button, because you only have to move the mouse a little to the right. You have to either take your hand off the mouse to type the letters or use your left hand to type the j/k so it will take a little getting used to.

However, when I type "j" I go to the previous student (earlier in alphabet) and when I type "k" I go to the next student (later in alphabet). Maybe the comma menu is off? Or am I the one who is backwards?

There's still a lot of mousing required when grading quizzes question-by-question, but these shortcuts take a little of the edge off.  I can see how the shortcuts would be very helpful for people grading assignments with rubrics.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I'm glad that's helpful for you, Beth!

Yes,  @James ​, pointed out the same thing. I just filed this as a bug, so hopefully it can be fixed quickly. I'm actually glad it functions opposite of what the key says, b/c as James pointed out, it makes more sense to have the "j" going to the previous student, and the "k" going to the next student. (on a QWERTY)

droberson
Community Novice

Thanks. The J/K worked just fine. I would still like a button under the "submit comment" or something like that. While I remember shortcuts for all sorts of software (Adobe, Autodesk, Microsoft, Google...) many of my colleagues are already intimitaded enough by this LMS that they just want simple big and obvious solutions.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea is now open for vote. Smiley Happy

cwendt
Community Champion

I did try this but it only works sometimes.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

152473_pastedImage_9.png

Thank You for taking the time and energy to submit and discuss your idea. Your feedback helps our product teams prioritize feature development so we can build a product you will love. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to stay invested in Feature Ideas process of making Canvas better!