Desmos Classroom Activity LTI

(38)

Desmos classroom activities are amazing ways for educators to help their students connect mathematical ideas and concepts into reality, and allow them to manipulate data and visualize the concepts that they are learning. Desmos Activities are a great way to host interactive notes in the classroom as well as a fun way to make cardsort or graph based assignments. 

It would be incredible if Desmos Classroom Activities was a LTI partner where teachers could assign an activity to a canvas class, and have the students log in only with canvas, submit the assignment, and then have it show up on teachers SpeedGrader tool. This would also give students the ability to complete & come back to their work in a Desmos activity without having to leave the canvas site or sign in with google. 

33 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@usreyk ‌

Thanks for sharing this idea. As it moves forward for broader consideration, you might also be interested in joining the conversation at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9779-desmos-graphing-calculator-integration 

usreyk
Community Novice

Thank you! I did upvote the other topic in which you mentioned, however - they are 2 different parts of the Desmos tool.
The aforementioned idea just speaks of the Desmos graphing curator which is a great and functional calculator that would be nice to have embedded. This calculator can be found by going to Desmos.com.

My idea takes it one step further to Desmos classroom activities which can be accessed at teacher.desmos.com and has some extremely awesome capabilities. 

in summary, though the ideas are similar and invoke the same brand, Desmos classroom activities is different 

sisakr
Community Novice

Excellent idea — let's get this DONE!

BethCrook
Community Contributor

Yes please! I've been asked Desmos for this for a long time now!

jdriver78
Community Member

Yes, please! Desmos activities would be a perfect addition to Canvas. Currently, you can embed an activity in an assignment, but students cannot sign in to save their work when it is embedded.

thms7M
Community Explorer

This is so important! It is vital that students are able to sign in to Desmos so that we can view and track their progress!

BethCrook
Community Contributor

@thms7M @jdriver78 @sisakr and everyone else, we also have to be pushing Desmos about this on their end as well!

https://www.desmos.com/partners 

thms7M
Community Explorer

@BethCrook I just sent them an email, thanks for suggesting! Any other ideas how we can bring this specific issue to the attention of Canvas?

tomijbennett
Community Member

I want this too!  How do I "upvote" it?

davidhinrichs
Community Explorer

I would love to have an LTI for Desmos.

jfoster74
Community Member

I asked for this back when we got trained on Canvas 3 years ago. This would be so awesome to see, especially now when I am using so much more with DL.

BethCrook
Community Contributor

@jfoster74 keep bugging Desmos about it!!

cmf1
Community Member

yes we really need desmos lti so activities can be in canvas and grades synced.  Please! 🙂

cindyk
Community Participant

So needed.  Currently, students have to open the activity in a new tab so they can login.  But the results are also not viewable in Canvas and I have to manually enter grades - not efficient for semi-weekly activities.

MattHanes
Community Champion

I had a 20 minute Zoom chat with the CEO of Desmos about building an LTI. He said they are currently working on a Google Classroom integration but an LTI will likely be something they attempt next. I demonstrated how several other LTIs work and how they pass back work into the SpeedGrader for teachers to grade. He seemed very much on board with it!

Amanda_Edlink
Community Member

@MattHanes@BethCrook I might be able to help! Happy to present an option to Desmos (that I + my colleague here in Austin, Texas, built!). It integrates (sso + rostering + grade passback + assignment integration) learning platforms like Desmos with Canvas. And getting Desmos squared away would take like 1/10th of the time/cash they'd need to build the integration on their own. 

I can show you the integration, with a sample learning platform + Canvas, if you'd want. Then if you like it, happy to approach Desmos about it as an option. Your blessing as an end-user would def make the conversation go faster, as you can imagine, hah. 

Let me know. Happy to help how I can. 

jdriver78
Community Member

@Amanda_Edlink 

I would love to see how you are integrating Desmos in Canvas. Do you have a video or steps?

My email is jdriver@conroeisd.net

davidhinrichs
Community Explorer

@Amanda_Edlink I would love to see this. Thank you for offering to facilitate the conversation.

Amanda_Edlink
Community Member

@jdriver78 I can show you, for sure! Sent you an email. Glad to connect. 

@davidhinrichs I'd be happy to show you! Wanna hop on a video chat? Happy to set one up. my email is amanda@ed.link 🤓

klbfain
Community Member

I completely agree that it would be so helpful to be able to make an assignment in Canvas using Desmos as an external tool. Right now it is a gigantic pain to have Desmos open on one screen and Canvas on another to do grading.