[Pages] Differentiated Pages

Canvas should support differentiated Pages. Similar to differentiated Assignments, Pages could be set to be visible to certain groups of students. This would allow for the creation of diverging tracks or branches within a single course.

At UCLA Extension, we're currently developing a Canvas training course for new instructors. We have included two groups of instructors in one course: 1.) Online/Hybrid instructors, and 2.) Web-facilitated instructors. By necessity, we've designed our course so both groups move through the same content. However, if we had differentiated Pages, then we could tailor our content to each group's specific needs and enjoy the benefits of keeping them in the same course (discussion, collaboration, grading etc.).

There is a similar suggestion for differentiated Modules for which I have voted in support:

Module access to specific groups, sections or students

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

56 Comments
khaled_al-ankar
Community Participant

Hi everyone,

I feel this idea is more of a necessity now our college is utilising sections for group enrolment. As an example it would be a lot easier for me to give my Group A a page full of resources and have it released to my Group B three days later. At the college we use sections as groups and it’s managed by our SIS. And being able to give one student an extra page with resources on to support his/her journey. Game changer! Differentiation in a virtual environment is a must.

Just my thought but I think this would also improve teachers buy in and adoption of canvas.

Did this ever get to the voteing point? 

Thanks

K

gekopik
Community Participant

I have a course section that did collaborative work on a page, but I'd like that page to be viewable by that course section only so as to not permit my other sections copying or displaying that work.

Therefore, I would like only certain pages to be viewed by specific sections, similar to how assignments assigned to one section is not visible to other sections (or how announcements and discussions can be broadcast/activated by course section).

nicoletta_rata
Community Member

We really need this functionality like yesterday.  

mswope
Community Contributor

With many courses being cross listed, it would be very helpful to have the ability to post pages to individual sections or students, as you can with assignments.

roselle_basa
Community Participant

May I know that status of the feature?  

rjf227
Community Participant

This is a much-needed feature to address some of our accessibility concerns and needs. We want to be able to provide content to our students (including blind students) at their point of need in a way that's not visible to the other students in the class. The lack of this functionality within Canvas compromises our ability to create an equitable learning design to meet the teaching and learning needs of students with special needs. Currently, we have to provide differentiated student content outside of the LMS to preserve anonymity, creating a scavenger hunt of sorts for the student (seeing we can't provide these materials in an organized way to individual students within the LMS). Because accessibility issues can lead to litigation, we would be incredibly relieved to see this functionality added to Canvas.

mamgorman
Community Member

Yes, please can we have differentiated pages! Please! It would help so much with hybrid instruction. Middle schoolers are so confused when they see a page assigned to their section. 

stephanierosema
Community Explorer

Please allow pages to be assignable to different groups. I want to make weekly agendas for each of my four cohorts and virtual group so they know what they need to do each week. Yes, I know I can do the whole group's homepage but the issue is that is one more thing that I have to learn mid-year and that my students have to adapt to. They are used to agendas on pages and I'm used to creating an agenda on a page in each weekly module so now I need to do the same process but just create four agendas and assign each page to only the students that need that agenda. Instead, now I have to find a workaround so that it's more organized for my students.

BeckyDeSalvo
Community Member

How do I vote for this?  

mamgorman
Community Member

This would be so great! We need differentiated pages!