[Pages] Differentiated Pages

Canvas should support differentiated Pages. Similar to differentiated Assignments, Pages could be set to be visible to certain groups of students. This would allow for the creation of diverging tracks or branches within a single course.

At UCLA Extension, we're currently developing a Canvas training course for new instructors. We have included two groups of instructors in one course: 1.) Online/Hybrid instructors, and 2.) Web-facilitated instructors. By necessity, we've designed our course so both groups move through the same content. However, if we had differentiated Pages, then we could tailor our content to each group's specific needs and enjoy the benefits of keeping them in the same course (discussion, collaboration, grading etc.).

There is a similar suggestion for differentiated Modules for which I have voted in support:

Module access to specific groups, sections or students

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

56 Comments
jlubkinchavez
Community Contributor

Love that they added the ability to give pages a to-do date, but being able to assign by section would be a big helper. While groups are a good option for some content, groups have additional functionality that isn't always desirable, and they create a pretty heavy setup load.

christopher_sal
Community Member

This is definitely needed. My university is using sections as a method for aggregating classes setup in lecture/recitation combinations. The students need access to the common lecture material, but need differentiation at the recitation level. We need this!

alicia_arnold
Community Member

What is the status of this feature?  It seems like it's been in demand for quite some time now.  As a high school teacher who teaches multiple sections of the same course on a block schedule, it's necessary to be able to assign pages to different dates (just like we can with assignments & discussions).

Would love an update from someone on Canvas Tech support!

Also, to others leaving comments on this thread, please remember to vote for it by clicking on the stars above the original post.  That way, it'll eventually move up the chain of popular ideas.

jherron1
Community Explorer

I'm glad to see this topic is still alive!  It's clear there is a need for this feature.  Can we get an update?  Thank you so much!

JMc4
Community Novice

It would be great if I could differentiate a page so I could post my notes for a student who needs that accomodation while it is not visible for other students. 

SoporteCDD
Community Member

Buenos días a todos

Nos gustaría compartir con voostros una consulta que podría ser un propuesta de mejora.

En nuestro centro educativo tenemos activo un máster que ha dado comienzo en noviembre y queremos lanzar una nueva edición en febrero.

la idea que dentro del curso que ya tenemos activo podamos hacer una sección nueva con los nuevos alumnos de febrero. El caso es que esta nueva edición tendrá alguna particularidad que no queremos compartir con la anterior edición. Tendrá algún tema diferente además de tareas o documentos. Sademos que existe la posibilidad de incorporar tareas, examenes o foros que solo estén activos en determinadas secciiones pero  parece que por ahora no existe la posibilidad de crear contenido diferente texto plano o temas nuevos por ejemplo) en unas secciones sí y en otras no aunque estemos dentro del mismo SIS ID de un curso y que todo dependa del curso matriz.

¿Hay alguien más que pueda encontra interesante esta opción??

Un saludo a todos

y gracias

Good morning to everybody

We would like to share with you a query that could be a proposal for improvement.

In our educational center we have an active master's degree that began in November and we want to launch a new edition in February.

the idea that within the course that we already have active we can make a new section with the new students of February. The fact is that this new edition will have some particularity that we do not want to share with the previous edition. It will have some different topic besides tasks or documents. We know that there is the possibility of incorporating tasks, exams or forums that are only active in certain sections but it seems that for now there is no possibility of creating different plain text content or new topics for example) in some sections yes and in others no although we are within the same SIS ID of a course and that everything depends on the parent course.

Is there anyone else who might find this option interesting?

Greetings to all

and thanks

NYITCOM-ATG_MM
Community Member

I receive requests for limiting access to pages from multiple faculty multiple times a semester. Having the pages differentiated would be a lot easier than having to make a separate course just for two or three pieces of information. 

jherron1
Community Explorer

If this has been suggested, voted on since 2015, is there a reason why it hasn't gone any further?  I do think it's worth the conversation staying active.

v_zhang
Community Member

It will be very helpful to limit access to pages/files by sections. The cross-listing function is helpful. But differentiating access at assessment/discussion level is not enough. We have two streams in a subject and classes are recorded. We don't want to release the video files for Monday classes to the students in Wednesday classes before they even attended the class.  

tnaylwar
Community Participant

In Florida, we have the Parents Bill of Rights which if this passes, it would be helpful if we could give access to certain pages based on the section a person is enrolled in.  We oftentimes create links to Copyrighted material and not all our Charter Schools and Parents will have access to these portions of the course.  We would love to see this option "outside of Mastery Paths."