[Modules] Direct link to only module selected

We have graphics on our home page which link directly to the different modules in our course and when we click it takes us to the module page but you can also see all of the other modules at the same time. We need all of the modules accessible at all times, so restrictions will not help. Would it be possible to be able to only view the module that the link is connected to instead of the whole list?

11 Comments
zellera
Community Member

The ability to link to a specific module, like I can link to a specific page, assignment or file would be tremendously helpful!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

I just tested this using the instructions in How do I create hyperlinks to course or group cont... and was able to create a link to a specific module that behaves just as you've described (by selecting Links | Course Links | [choose specific module] in the RCE). If this process is not working for you, please contact Canvas Support.

zellera
Community Member

It opens the entire module list when I link. I want it to only link to the specific module, not to the list of modules. I have a student account too so I can see what students see and they see the whole list, even though I have linked only one specific module.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

That's correct, @zellera : when creating the link in the manner described in our documentation, the entire modules list displays on the page, but it automatically opens to the one for which you've created the link—and that is how it has always functioned. We'd be happy to move this forward for further discussion as a request to display only a specific module.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

zellera
Community Member

I would love to move it forward to continue discussion as it does not show well for students that it is opening a specific module. Thank you!

sokolk
Community Novice

Yes my students are also having this issue while using the app. When they click on my link that I make it takes them to the module that is at the top not the specific one that I have linked. 

I have had to walk around multiple times to help kids find what I want since when they are clicking on the link it takes them to ALL the modules that are published 

bennette_2020
Community Member

The whole point of linking something, like a module, is to eliminate additional steps for students, the current/new way sends them to a list to search for the end goal - what's the point of linking on the instructor's part (and additional step for us) and then causing students (who need the directed route) now to seek and find anyway!?!?

zellera
Community Member

@bennette_2020 Exactly!

beed
Community Novice

Agree totally with this request from zellera.  This will make things easier for both teacher and student.  Please get this done Canvas, it would be much appreciated!