Disable File Upload in Essay Questions in a Quiz

0 Likes

I found that one can access their file browser while in LockDown Browser by trying to Insert/Upload Document. With the file browser open, one can access previews of all their files. In my Mac, I am able to view all my files and even click through PowerPoint slides within Preview. One can also easily view pdfs, images, and MS Office documents within file preview/thumbnail without ever opening them.

Can you please disable this option for essay questions to prevent access to file browser in LDB? This should only be reserved for File Upload questions to prevent this workaround for accessing files within LockDown Browser.

Tags (2)
3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@canvas77 

You'll be happy to learn that this is already designed into essay questions in New Quizzes. Not only does the new quiz tool use a different rich content editor that does not allow for file uploads, but the instructor has the option to disable the RCE altogether for those questions so that only a plain text box displays to the student. You can read more about creating essay questions in New Quizzes in How do I create an Essay question in New Quizzes?

Our product teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Old (Classic) Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated early next year, so we've archived this idea. The resources in the New Quizzes User Group should help you start trying out the new tool in your courses; you might need to reach out to your local Canvas admin if you aren't able to see the ability to enable New Quizzes in course settings.

Thanks. Stay safe, and stay well. 🙂

canvas77
Community Explorer

Thanks for the response. I tried making a New Quiz, and the upload file is indeed disabled. 

However, it does not seem to work with Respondus Monitor. I've set my exam with webcam requirement but it did not prompt a webcam check, etc. Do you have a solution for this?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@canvas77 

New Quizzes integrates with Respondus Lockdown Browser; would you check with your local Canvas admin to ask about configuring Respondus Monitor for use in these quizzes?