Disable automatic inline previews of YouTube Videos

In the old Rich Content Editor it was possible to insert a simple hyperlink to a YouTube video. Now the inline preview is force inserted. Even if you go into the html editor when you save the inline preview is forced in. This option need to be reinstated. If I am listing multiple videos on a page I don't want previews and pop out viewers to appear. 

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-08-26)

26 Comments
kdickso
Community Participant

Yes. This is bad. Similar to the inability to do anything but embed Studio videos, but worse in some ways.

I did find a workaround, but it requires going into the HTML. Once again, using the new RCE costs me more in terms of time than the old one. From extra clicks to HTML parsing, it is costing a lot of time.

I use  @kwennstrom 's HTML editing solution from this thread: https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/43880-how-do-i-disable-inline-preview-for-a-youtube-video-usi... 

BUT, it is a pain. I'm going to link to this suggestion over in that thread. Thanks for proposing it.

guyr1
Community Explorer

Please restore this ability to the link tool.  Having to edit the HTML  is so time consuming. 

collinsl
Community Novice

Agree wholeheartedly. There's no need for an auto-preview on optional videos; it just clutters up the page.

mckissicka
Community Novice

I agree.  Given the high number of relatively new users among educators, please reinstate this helpful feature.

alexander_mitch
Community Participant

The option to disable the inline preview is really useful for lists of links in a page.

There is really no time that I would intentionally use the inline embedded preview, the iframe embed is so much nicer on a page, and if I want to save space, I'd much prefer ordinary linked text.

ewest
Community Contributor

I agree. This is a very crucial feature in helping instructors build appealing and functional pages. It is not a workable solution to have instructors adjust HTML code in order to disable the preview.

guyr1
Community Explorer

Agreed. Please share this with folks at your institution.  Instructure needs to know this is a feature they need to add back ASAP.

guyr1
Community Explorer

Same.  You may want to share this page with colleagues at your institution.  This needs more upvotes for instructure to add it to their development plans. 

James
Community Champion

@guyr1  

Canvas knows they need to add this feature. On May 22, 2020, a product manager left this comment:

We are planning to make that update around YouTube videos so you can turn off the preview if you wish.

There was no timeline given. More votes won't make it happen any sooner.

mark_dalana
Community Novice

This new editor looks pretty, but they've taken away important things we need. With this change and the quizzes.next trainwreck Instructure is starting to be a little bit frustrating. I know it's not easy to create and maintain such a complicated system, but when tools get worse over time, it isn't good for anyone.