Disable automatic inline previews of YouTube Videos

In the old Rich Content Editor it was possible to insert a simple hyperlink to a YouTube video. Now the inline preview is force inserted. Even if you go into the html editor when you save the inline preview is forced in. This option need to be reinstated. If I am listing multiple videos on a page I don't want previews and pop out viewers to appear. 

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-08-26)

26 Comments
karen_bowden
Community Contributor

If this was already deployed then how do we disable them in the new RCE? I have resorted to modifying the html manually in desparation.

cbutler
Community Member

What a headache. This borked our workflow and visual style big time so I had to do a deep drive:

So to summarize after looking over multiple threads, the current state of this issue as of 01/ 20/21:

1. Only YouTube links added via the Link icon in the New Rich Content Editor display as a link without a thumbnail.

2. Links that are pasted in the RCE itself need to be highlighted with the link tool and edited to strip the inline video thumbnail.

3. You can also edit the HTML and manually add "class=inline_disabled" to the HTML hyperlink.

There is no way to universally turn this off at this time. What a headache that slows down instructional designers and technologists who have an established clean layout for their courses.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@cbutler You can read more about this, and add your comments if you'd like, at New RCE - Launch Update! - Canvas Community 

cbutler
Community Member

@Stef_retired Thanks for following up, I will comment because while the functionality can be suppressed using the workflows above, it isn't quite removed in the way that the update describes. 

Edit: I shared this information and the comment was deleted. Wow. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed