cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable automatic inline previews of YouTube Videos

Disable automatic inline previews of YouTube Videos

(11)

In the old Rich Content Editor it was possible to insert a simple hyperlink to a YouTube video. Now the inline preview is force inserted. Even if you go into the html editor when you save the inline preview is forced in. This option need to be reinstated. If I am listing multiple videos on a page I don't want previews and pop out viewers to appear. 

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-08-26)

24 Comments
kdickso
Community Participant

Yes. This is bad. Similar to the inability to do anything but embed Studio videos, but worse in some ways.

I did find a workaround, but it requires going into the HTML. Once again, using the new RCE costs me more in terms of time than the old one. From extra clicks to HTML parsing, it is costing a lot of time.

I use  @kwennstrom 's HTML editing solution from this thread: https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/43880-how-do-i-disable-inline-preview-for-a-youtube-video-usi... 

BUT, it is a pain. I'm going to link to this suggestion over in that thread. Thanks for proposing it.

guyr1
Community Participant

Please restore this ability to the link tool.  Having to edit the HTML  is so time consuming. 

collinsl
Community Participant

Agree wholeheartedly. There's no need for an auto-preview on optional videos; it just clutters up the page.

mckissicka
Community Member

I agree.  Given the high number of relatively new users among educators, please reinstate this helpful feature.

alexander_mitch
Community Participant

The option to disable the inline preview is really useful for lists of links in a page.

There is really no time that I would intentionally use the inline embedded preview, the iframe embed is so much nicer on a page, and if I want to save space, I'd much prefer ordinary linked text.

ewest
Community Contributor

I agree. This is a very crucial feature in helping instructors build appealing and functional pages. It is not a workable solution to have instructors adjust HTML code in order to disable the preview.

guyr1
Community Participant

Agreed. Please share this with folks at your institution.  Instructure needs to know this is a feature they need to add back ASAP.

guyr1
Community Participant

Same.  You may want to share this page with colleagues at your institution.  This needs more upvotes for instructure to add it to their development plans. 

James
Community Champion

@guyr1  

Canvas knows they need to add this feature. On May 22, 2020, a product manager left this comment:

We are planning to make that update around YouTube videos so you can turn off the preview if you wish.

There was no timeline given. More votes won't make it happen any sooner.

mark_dalana
Community Member

This new editor looks pretty, but they've taken away important things we need. With this change and the quizzes.next trainwreck Instructure is starting to be a little bit frustrating. I know it's not easy to create and maintain such a complicated system, but when tools get worse over time, it isn't good for anyone. 

allen-sondej
Community Member

I have to admit I am not particularly impressed with Canvas. 

mwolfenstein
Community Participant

I spend a fair amount of time in HTML and this was a quick fix for me, but I'm basically a hybrid faculty/instructional designer/program manager. Although I want my online faculty to become more comfortable with HTML, it can't be required.

I think more importantly, the inline preview on YouTube videos is accessible but ugly and that's not a compromise that needs to exist. Unlike some of the features that get requested on here we're talking about something that should have a very low overhead in development cost. It already recognizes YouTube links and does the work of forcing them into inline preview. Enabling and disabling inline preview already exists for documents. Just close the loop on this by adding that checkbox when you click options to enable/disable inline preview.

kdickso
Community Participant

@mwolfenstein ‌,

Ouch. When you put it that way it really does seem kind of odd and deliberate that they eliminated the checkbox. I'd love to know the reasoning behind it.

I think that I would be better with parsing the HTML (and I am interested in Instructional Design, but my role is purely as a faculty member in this instance), if I had a workable plugin for Canvas that would help me scan code more easily when I'm parsing it.

Ironically, I use color coding to highlight sentences that I am parsing with Latin students, but haven't been able to make a plugin work with Canvas to allow me to do it yet. But, to be honest, I haven't tried in the last few months because that is kind of low on my priority list for things that need to be done.

In any case, thanks for your thorough and cogent response!

Katrina

sooterg
Community Member

I've gone into the HTML editor and removed the preview code and when I saved the document the new RCE reinserted it. How did you disable the preview in HTML?

kdickso
Community Participant

@sooterg ‌, you have to manually add "class=inline_disabled" to the hyperlink.

This thread has two solutions (including what I just said):

1. Use a shortened link.

2. Edit the HTML using  @kwennstrom ‌'s solution (in the thread).

• Kira Wennstrom explains how to do it and gives a picture of the altered HTML.
  • There's also a link in that thread to a video made by  @GregoryBeyrer ‌ that shows the process Wennstrom describes.

I apologize if you have already done that and are having a different issue!!!

Best,

Katrina

sooterg
Community Member

Thanks for the heads up. I tried it out and it seems to be working.

I appreciate all of the effort the users are putting in to overcome the difficulties imposed by the company. The fact that the community on here is so willing to help each other out is amazing. 

I do, however, disagree that this thread has two solutions. What you've listed are work arounds. The solution is for Canvas to re-enable the option.

kdickso
Community Participant

Hey  @sooterg ‌

Point taken. You are absolutely right that these are workarounds, not solutions.

My continual frustration with items in the new RCE is that things take longer to do (more clicks/movements) OR they have removed abilities like this that make for cleaner pages—neither of which makes sense to me from the point of viewer of end-user experience or design.

I guess we will just have to wait and see. I totally agree with you on the user community. I'd be much more continually frustrated with items if I could not search here for solutions.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: On Beta
Comments from Instructure

YouTube links are no longer embedded by default. This change allows users to decide if a YouTube video should be linked or embedded.

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-08-26)

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed

havard_pedersen
Community Member

This is not working well. It no longer embeds by default if you use the link-button on the toolbar, which is fine. But if you paste a link directly into the editor it generates an embed link for you. 😞 And there is no way to edit the link to make it non-embed unless you use the code view.