[To Do] Disable the To Do List

I want students to work from the Modules and complete work in the order on the Module.  This ensures student learning progresses in a sound pedagogical order.  The student To Do list completely sabotages student learning.  If they click on an assignment on the To Do list without doing all the preparatory pages and information I have listed, in order, on the Module, they are not properly prepared or reinforcing their learning.

I have to put big red words to asking them NOT to work from the TO DO list, but some students will take the short cut anyway.  

Also, the student To Do list takes up too much screen real estate.  This right frame is completely counter-productive and unnecessary. 

Please put in a feature where the instructor can control or disable the student To Do list.

Added to Theme

120 Comments
RachelAmbruso
Community Novice

This section is very confusing for elementary students and their parents.  They are doing assignments that haven't even been officially assigned in class.  Or, their parents don't believe them when they say to ignore that section.  Please consider the option to turn that off from the student's view.

bcaldwell
Community Member

I agree that I would very much like to be able to disable the student to-do list so that they move through my materials in the order I have them posted in each module. The to-do list feature is causing a lot of confusion among my students. 

GerardoSaavedra
Community Novice

The to-do on the side is distracting

lalee24601
Community Explorer

The ability to control it would be really helpful. For many of the reasons already stated - -  also, for folks who are trying to support teachers learning/using Canvas, they don't necessarily need to see all the assignments and announcements and so forth on their own To Do list even though they have teacher/designer rights in a course. It gets awfully cluttered.

rlunceford
Community Novice

I want to disable the "To Do" list as a lower elementary teacher, or at least have a choice in which courses use the "To Do" list.  I have a homework course card for ...home and subject course cards for the classroom. I do not want parents or students to work on school work at home. The red dot and number on the "To Do" list make it appear that students have unfinished assignments when that is not the case. I need to be able to do practice assignments and real assignments to have students learn how to use canvas, but sometimes we do not get to all of the assignments. I feel that Canvas needs to have more options to turn on and off all features. The platform was meant for college courses/instructors, not elementary school students and therefore the student and teacher needs are extremely different. I also think that since December 2019, when the original post was created, that a decision should have been reached by now. I do not feel that this is really a vote, but more of a forum that gives the appearance of a vote. 

cantvas
Community Participant

I'm a university professor.  In my syllabus, I tell my student that the To-Do list and the Canvas Calendar may be misleading for my class, and they shouldn't rely on either.

lynn1
Community Explorer

How do I vote for this feature?

john_cavano
Community Explorer

@lynn1 To vote to "Disable the To Do List", scroll to the top of this post and click the number of stars you want to give this feature. I suggest 5 stars! 🙂

kristin_riggs-1
Community Member

Please get this done.  I put so much work into the order of assignments for students to just skip.  Just let me disable this ******* feature.

nwiggins
Community Explorer

YES, please for the love of all things educational let us disable or hide the "To Do" list!