[To Do] Disable the To Do List

I want students to work from the Modules and complete work in the order on the Module.  This ensures student learning progresses in a sound pedagogical order.  The student To Do list completely sabotages student learning.  If they click on an assignment on the To Do list without doing all the preparatory pages and information I have listed, in order, on the Module, they are not properly prepared or reinforcing their learning.

I have to put big red words to asking them NOT to work from the TO DO list, but some students will take the short cut anyway.  

Also, the student To Do list takes up too much screen real estate.  This right frame is completely counter-productive and unnecessary. 

Please put in a feature where the instructor can control or disable the student To Do list.

Added to Theme

120 Comments
jmccarth1
Community Member

One person talks about how orderly their TO DO list is, but LTI 3rd party assignments do NOT show on the TO DO list.  The only way to do Canvas assignments and 3rd party assignments is to follow the items on the module in the proper listed order - as listed on the Module.

If you find the TO DO list useful, that's great.  But for those of us who find it counter-productive to our pedagogical goals, we should have the option of disabling it,

It is about being able to have options.  No one is suggesting abolishing the TO DO list.  I am simply requesting the OPTION to disable the TO DO list.  For my students it is a distracting temptation to take shortcuts and do assignments out of order or miss assignments all together.

dpurcell
Community Explorer

The ability to disable the to-do list would be a welcome feature.  This feature is a distraction, especially for our youngest students and their families who are supporting them during the pandemic closure as we work fully remotely.

mvonniebuehland
Community Member

The to-do list is confusing for my students who all struggle with school.  In fact, that is why they are in my school.  We are trying to show them how to "do school," and the less distractors the better.  Let the expert decide whether or not to use "to-do" lists.  Stop making it automatic in my students' feeds.

clay_elmore
Community Explorer

The to-do list as a default view has been detrimental on my campus and, in fact, across my district. The to-do list is both oversimplified and misleading because it leads students to the mistaken conclusion that those are the only required elements. It's counterintuitive and undermines the point of a robust platform by diminishing the importance of pacing & scaffolding. I should have the ability to hide the to-do list, or at least make it less of a focal point. We can say "ignore the to-do list!" all we want, but why stop at telling when we can show?

mcmack
Community Explorer

I also agree with this thread of requests. Please put in a feature where the instructor can control or disable the student To Do list. It is incredibly distracting and confusing for elementary students and parents.  Content from earlier quarters is spilling over into new quarters.  How many more requests for this option are needed before the change can take place?

2ndGradeTeach
Community Novice

Yes! This! Please disable the to-do list. It hasn't been working correctly and showing items that were done back in August or September causing panic and stress to families that is unnecessary! I've encouraged parents to use the Grades tab and focus on the daily modules but it still is there distracting from work I want them focused on now. 

aumckee
Community Member

I would love to see teachers have the option to remove the to-do list for students.  Students need to work from module view where they at least get exposed to the content and the assignments.

MrWilliams
Community Explorer

Support, support, support!  This choice would really support our teachers in how they are running their courses / training their students to use Canvas effectively!

abrasley
Community Member

I hate the to do list. Students x things off the list and lie to parents. Some parents do not seem to be invested enough to become Observers and check for themselves....so this feature would force them to at least check the modules. Students may also stop emailing me that their stuff is locked....it's not locked. You have Prerequisites before getting to the assignment.

jajasewa
Community Member

Please, please, please allow us to hide the to-do list. Please.