[To Do] Disable the To Do List

I want students to work from the Modules and complete work in the order on the Module.  This ensures student learning progresses in a sound pedagogical order.  The student To Do list completely sabotages student learning.  If they click on an assignment on the To Do list without doing all the preparatory pages and information I have listed, in order, on the Module, they are not properly prepared or reinforcing their learning.

I have to put big red words to asking them NOT to work from the TO DO list, but some students will take the short cut anyway.  

Also, the student To Do list takes up too much screen real estate.  This right frame is completely counter-productive and unnecessary. 

Please put in a feature where the instructor can control or disable the student To Do list.

Added to Theme

120 Comments
artrue
Community Explorer

YESSSSS!  PLEASE allow this to be removed!!!!!!

BoBermudez
Community Member

YES!! All my students do is go to the To-Do list and skip all of the instructional materials/support in the modules resulting in terrible grades. PLEASE give us the option to disable.

rose_maxwell
Community Member

Giving teachers the option to enable/disable the To-Do list would be so helpful! I work with elementary teachers and many have asked for this. 

Gaston_Cindy
Community Member

I would love to have the option to disable the To Do list. I work with grades 3-8 in Canvas. It is nice to have options to set up the course in a way that best meets the needs of the students and their developmental levels.

krushand
Community Member

I completely agree with those who have commented previously. Please allow teachers to disable the "to-do" list to eliminate student confusion. Thank you.

canvaslurker
Community Novice

I agree with all the above comments, please allow instructors to control the to-do list for students. It is very frustrating when students ignore instruction and attempt to complete the assignment and can't because of failure to do the module. 

john_cavano
Community Explorer

Please allow the To-Do list to be turned off, either by the instructor or by students. I work with students with disabilities and I frequently have students who are confused or overwhelmed by the To-Do list because they have their own method of tracking what they need to do. 

hetrickco
Community Novice

I completely agree with making it so that the "to-do list" would be an option rather than forced. I work in an elementary school and have done both virtual and in person teaching. The "to-do list" proves to be very confusing to students, especially when a due date has passed for something and it is still showing up over on the list for them to do. 

Elementary students NEED to be going in order of the modules rather than working off of the "to-do list". By doing the to-do list, they are missing out on the instructional videos that are posted by teachers who work very hard to make them!

There should be no reason for it to be an option.

If it works for you students, it can be enabled. If it doesn't, you can disable it.

AllisonFrench
Community Member

Please let teachers disable the to-do list.  Teachers have been requesting this for years.  Lets go!

LoriSchwendeman
Community Novice

My life would be greatly improved by being able to shut off the to do list. I shared my canvas course with peers teaching a similar course across the district for the first time at the start of the year. It gave them access to how I lay out lessons etc. which was a great help to them. They invited me to be a TA in their course so I could see how they modified and put things to use in real time. But now my to do list includes grading notifications for their assignments. And for my own. OY. Call me overwhelmed.