Discussion Grading with Groups

0 Likes
(1)

Would be nice to be able to maintain Groups when using Speedgrader. 

We are able to filter the Grades area to show a Student Group, but how do I efficiently grade with the same format?   

Currently - speedgrader shows the whole class, not just the 4or 5 members of the group.  This is a time suck 😞 

Thanks for your time!

M

9 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@MariaShimel Thanks for sharing this. Are you using the instructions in How do I assign a graded discussion to a course gr... - Canvas Community to create the group discussions?

anna_oh
Community Participant

It looks like even if you set the group, Speedgrader only lists each student and not by group, so you can't grade by group; you can only grade each individual student. Is there a possibility to grade by group, so all members get the same grade automatically like when you create a group Assignment?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@anna_oh Yes, you are correct: group discussions display differently (i.e. by individual student, not by group) in Speedgrader. We've moved this forward for further discussion.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

akhuebel
Community Participant

Yes, this would be very helpful!  I'd like an option to grade by group if I am in the group area but to grade by all students (as it does now) if I access it via the main discussion.  I hope that makes sense.

MarcusBuker
Community Member

It would be great if the same options for grading for group assignments (i.e. grade as individual OR as a group) could also be available for graded group discussions. 

As far as I can tell, graded discussions only allow for individual grading.

For example, if one member posts work done by all members together it would be good if all members showed a submission recorded, and that a single grade could be given to all in the group.  ( I want postings to be public, thus I am using the group discussion format, rather than the group assignment option).

tslee
Community Participant

In large classes that have turned on the 'Launch SpeedGrader Filter by Student Group" in course settings,

assignment speedgrader works as expected. But grading discussion board does not work.

Currently assignments

• go to assignment
  • choose group in drop-down menu
  • click speedgrader
  • see student group members names, great!

Currently discussion board

• go to discussion
  • click speedgrader
  • does not show roster of student group members

tslee
Community Participant
ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.