Discussion Post and Reply Requirements

0 Likes
(6)

It would be nice if instructors could set the number of posts and replies a student needs to make in a graded discussion in order for it to be considered "completed" on the to-do list. The current system just shows graded discussions "completed" when a single post is made (unless you are doing peer review). So, actual "Required Posts" and "Required Replies" as numeric values the instructor can manipulate when setting up the discussion.  

8 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

SarahDeSart
Community Novice

I would like an option to be able to say how many posts are necessary for a discussion until the discussion should be marked as complete.  Most teachers require an initial post and then replies to other students.  If there was a choice to make the assignment appear incomplete until a certain number of posts are completed this would help both the students and the instructors. 

Sarah 

Denham
Community Participant

This would be hugely valuable for both students seeing the outstanding task (so no green tick on module screen) and for helping instructors to see what's ready for marking.

BenjaminSeipel
Community Member

This is so important! As is, the feature wastes so much time and requires 2-3x as much work than necessary. If I require students to post 3 times (to *gasp* actually engage in discussion with peers instead of post and run), I get notified that they posted after their first post. So, I've wasted so much time trying to grade an incomplete submission. (Additionally, I can't even reply to a post from the Speed Grader. So, I have to open extra windows...so inefficiently designed.)  Similarly, if a students never completes the required number of posts, they have a lower score and may return to the discussion board to post additional posts. There is no notification to see those new posts for grading. So, I have to search every student with a low grade to see if they resubmitted. It creates so much more work. It also promotes inequitable grading.

nknudtson
Community Novice

I don't require replies, but I completely agree that when a student posts and I have to mark incomplete because they didn't submit either the correct number of words or answer the question, there is no notification to see those new posts for grading. So, we have to ask students to tell us when they re-submit, it's crazy we have too many different courses in our situation to check every student. 

canvas_admin
Community Champion

Oh my goodness, YES!    We have different forums that require a different number of posts and different number of replies. From a grading perspective, it is frustrating to click those assignments off of the To-Do list until more submissions come in, and to be in the dark as to whether it really is completed or not. 

Mdk6
Community Member

Discussions are vital in creating an inclusive online environment for all. I require a thread (reply) related to the specified content with an added question for peers to answer. Then, reply to 2 posts. As you are aware, it shows as complete and needing grading after the initial post. It sends the wrong message to students as well as the teacher/professor. I have to set up a reminder announcement to reply to 2 peers 2 days after the initial due date for the post. To relieve stress and anxiety for both the students as well as the teachers/professors, make the number of replies (1-3) a choice of the professor for a completed discussion.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.