Discussion post/reply counts by student for each course. Why isn't this broken out in Analytics?

0 Likes
(2)

When I search for this all I get is a crazy API + Google sheets "solution."

We just switched to Canvas from D2L and this is the #1 missing feature complaint about Canvas!

5 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

jchapes
Community Explorer

We recently switched from Blackboard and found this feature also missed by our users. The API + Google Sheet solution in the community is a nice workaround, but the fact that this isn't included natively within Canvas is a little disturbing. 

dporter
Community Novice

I agree that an integrated discussion post count would be very valuable. I require every student in my literature courses to post at least 15 reading responses to the Discussions Board during the semester. I find the Google Sheet workaround unwieldy and unreliable and would welcome a feature that would display student post counts to both me and individual students throughout the term.

AnnetteDietz
Community Explorer

Glad to see this opened again. I'm again annoyed as I try to figure out which students have posted in my class discussion threads (which used to be a very easy "bonus points" thing to find in D2L). The API and google sheet solution worked for me last quarter (somehow, the details are fuzzy and I hate having to re-teach myself this repeatedly). This time I can't get it to work, keep getting error messages. I do not understand why this isn't just a feature we can easily access. I'm not sure which will take longer - manually scrolling through each discussion to tally student posts or troubleshooting this API thing for hours. Either way it is supremely frustrating!!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.