[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Idea is currently in development

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.
445 Comments
JDW223
Community Participant

Canvas Admins... where are we at on this? 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@JDW223  We currently anticipate that "Checkpoints" will be part of the third release, and the product manager will continue to apprise members of the status of the overall project at  Discussions Redesign Early Access.

JDW223
Community Participant
ctr_amachsonca
Community Explorer

This is one of the top feature requests I get from faculty at our university. 

mwolfenstein
Community Participant

Since this is roadmapped for Discussions Redesign is there a reason it's still under "Open For Conversation" on here? It seems more like it's already "In Development" although I recognize that it might not be in that 6 month window. If that's the case, it almost seems worth considering an approved/pre-development stage for ideas that are definitely going to happen but aren't close enough on the timeline to warrant the "In Development" classification.

thatcher_bohrma
Community Participant

Try Harmonize DB - has multiple milestones.

DanaPerlman
Community Member

Allowing for flexibilty for multiple time points during a discussion would be a signficant improvement.  I do this now by putting it on the calendar and linking to the discussion, but there has to be a more elegant solution.

lettgo583
Community Participant

Oh, yes! Please allow for multiple time points in discussions. The push for collaborative learning (for good reason!) makes this a "must-do" for Canvas.

GingerBehnke
Community Member

Please consider this feature!  We are transitioning to Canvas now and I am helping all the professors program their classes. My faculty is in revolt over the lack of two due dates.  

k_m_schwartz
Community Member

Over the years, I have seen this question asked many times and this functionality requested; it was even apparently on the radar for getting added in...are there any updates, code writers for Canvas?