cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Course Code in Admin Course Search Results

Display Course Code in Admin Course Search Results

The new admin course search is a big improvement over the previous search in a number of ways.  However, course code is no longer visible in the results which makes identifying multiple results difficult, particularly across multiple sections or terms of the same course.  The course title does not always provide enough information, and often we don't know what the course title is, because we are searching with a partial course code.  I realize that this information was cut in order to declutter the environment, but course code is a vital piece of information.  Either add course code as a column, or allow us to customize the columns.

13 Comments
Adventurer

I voted up on this, but I do want to list a couple caveats here...  I'd only be okay with this if it didn't slow down the page/search load times (it's already a bit slow as-is).  I'd also only be okay with this if it was an additional column, as the sis_id for us is way more important than the course code.  Our course title and course code are very similar to each other, so the code wouldn't really be beneficial for us, but I know other places have different configs where this could be useful.

I just created an idea for this because my initial search to add this course code did not find this idea... Here are my screenshots to help show what we need...

Current behavior:

280123_course search current.jpg

Requested behavior:

280130_course search.jpg

Community Member

We have professors that use the same courses and associate faculty with course numbers as a result.  The title of the course is often long and sometimes varies.  Having the ability to look up a course by the course code is essential when assisting the teaching assistant or faculty when communicating with them.

Community Member

I also voted up, many faculty/TA and I use the course code search. It is fast and easy.  The course title is long. Sometimes it is difficult to remember the whole title. so Yes we want the Course Code.

Explorer II

I voted up but we also need and find searching by SIS ID an necessity so please, enable both options.  Many thanks in advance of the consideration.

Adventurer

Hi ninafox

As far as I know, the current search does work for the sis_id field.  Are you seeing different behavior in your instance?

EDIT: Upon second reading I think you're just in agreement that sis_id needs to stay.  khirschmann‌, you might get more support and votes for this idea if you remove the "I personally would rather have course code over SIS ID" bit at the end., asit's almost two distinct ideas to add course_code and remove sis_id and some people (like Nina and me) definitely don't want the sis_id removed

-Chris

Explorer II

Hi Christopher, yes, I am in favor of keeping the sis_id field and adding in the course_code field search. Sis_id is an essential search for us.

Community Member

Thank you for this illustration.  For us the SIS ID is a 4 digit code that has nothing in common with Course Code.  I realize for others SIS ID is important, but Course Code is far more pertinent in our situation.

Community Member

connor.orourke@yale.edu‌ just for the sake of clarity, you can currently search by course code, you just won't see the course code listed in the results.

Community Member

Thank you for the suggest chriscas‌.  I made the change.