Display Custom Roles in the Enrollment Section of the User Account

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We have a number of custom roles in Canvas, many that are built off of the teacher role but with more restrictions (EX. "Paraeducator").

When you look up a user in Canvas and scroll down to their enrollments, you only see: Teacher, Student, or Observer. To know which specific enrollment a user has, you need to open the course and review the People screen. I get a lot of emails from panicked secretaries thinking they've done something wrong when they added a Paraeducator to a course and later see "Teacher" under the enrollments the profile screen. Displaying the custom role, rather than the parent role would make it much easier to find accurate information about the assigned role. 

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@audra_agnelly Thanks for sharing this idea. As it moves forward for broader discussion, you might also be interested in adding a comment to this idea that addresses how custom roles display at the course level: Make Custom Role Names visible in more parts of Ca... - Canvas Community 

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

Thanks Stefanie! I knew I couldn't have been the first person to have brought this up, but couldn't find a similar Idea suggestion.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: On Beta
  Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2022-02-02) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2022-02-02) .

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed