[Gradebook] Display Default Email in Gradebook and Speedgrader

I am fleshing out a an earlier feature request that evidently didn't go anywhere (*Display Student Email Address in Roster ).

At our university, the SIS_ID displayed in the People list and the Secondary ID displayed in the Gradebook are number-strings that are useful for big databases to match identities.  We also have a username that is much more human-friendly and that also forms the first part of our institutional email addresses.  That username is not displayed in any list or tool in such a way that an instructor can use it to ensure that the person whose record she is looking at is, indeed, the person she thinks it is.

A solution for us -- and we think others might find it useful -- is to allow the default email address to display to all instructional staff in the Grades list and alongside the student's name in Speedgrader.  This would also be useful in Quiz Moderation and other places where student names are listed.

Ideally, the gear-menu in the Grades list could include an option to allow the instructor to hide the Secondary ID and the Default Email if desired, just as the instructor may opt to hide or show student names or the notes column.  Whether this feature should be available to instructors should be a default controlled by the institutional admins.  An advantage to this placement is that the Gradebook can already be exported, thus providing an easy way for instructors to extract a list of email address for their students, which can be useful in any number of ways.

18 Comments
johnmartin
Community Champion

@hasti ‌,  @deppeler ‌,  @legault ‌ — My understanding is that it is now possible to see student netIDs on campus if you've enabled the new Gradebook (we're early testers), and this functionality is now part of the Phase .5 of the gradebook redesign. If you're interested in learning more, PM me!

robert_hollenbe
Community Participant

Also, please add Secondary ID as well.

While our Gradebook is set up to display the Canvas Secondary ID (which is each student's uni ID), once into Speedgrader, lecturers can no longer see it.

This creates a huge risk of misattributing marks in locations where it is routine to have multiple sets of students with identical full names in one class (e.g., Vietnam).

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

sringsmuth
Community Participant

Just adding a comment to this thread to chime in and say that this would be a very welcome addition.

brett_g_dalton
Community Novice

Email addresses in the GradeBook export would be incredibly useful for some third party data tools as well.  They are in the new Analytics exports but not the standard gradebook, so you can do it but it requires 2 different exports then merging the data based on Canvas_id or SIS_ID which is beyond most instructors.

memartin
Community Member

Hello, 

Please add student e-mail addresses to the Grades sheet and include this information in the exported Grades csv file. 

I often need to contact a certain category of student directly by e-mail, such as to check in with those I am concerned about, to recruit high performers as learning assistants, to loop a teaching assistant into the conversation, etc. Because I teach high-enrollment classes, (100-700 students), I must use MS Excel's vlookup function to match student IDs from my roster (from the Registrar) with student IDs in the Canvas Grades export file. I have to repeat this process multiple times over the quarter, which is tedious and takes time.  

Current communication options do not meet my needs. Canvas Inbox messaging is limiting in that it does not allow respondents to reply-all. And although the Canvas Grades "Message students who..." feature is handy, it does not anticipate many of the conditions I need, nor is it an option for the "Total" category. 

Thank you for considering this request. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme