Display Full names in inbox

0 Likes
(6)

Can you please reveal full names of the students in inbox so that we wouldn't get confused to whom we are talking to

Tags (3)
6 Comments
James
Community Champion

@ihsan 

At our institution, we use SIS imports to create accounts and our inbox shows up with the students full names.

Can you supply some more information to help me better understand?

• What are you seeing in the inbox instead of their names?
  • Are students created through the web interface or through a SIS import?
  • Are you using Canvas Free for Teachers?
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@ihsan 

Thanks for sharing this idea. This is controlled by the school's Canvas admin. Students' information will display in the inbox according to how their first and last names have been provisioned in the account; if the admin has enabled the permission that allows users to edit their display names, the name that will display will be the one that has been chosen by the user. Please ask your district Canvas admin for additional assistance.

ihsan
Community Explorer

Hi @Stef_retired  and @James Thank you very much for the responses. To answer your questions:

- the inbox shows only the first name of that student, this can be quite tricky considering that w have quite a lot of names with "Muhammad" - the only way for us to recognize who is which is by looking at the profile picture, and it could be even more challenging if these students do not have a profile pics.

- we created students through the web interface

- we are using a paid canvas 

- as an admin, I do not allow students to edit their display names.

I am attaching a sample of my conversation inbox to further illustrate my points. 

Your help is much appreciated.

Screenshot 2021-06-23 105507.png

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@ihsan  I took a quick look at the People tab for one of your courses and noted that many of the students are enrolled with only a single name; when that's the case, that is the only name that Canvas can display. I'd recommend that you contact Canvas Support so they can have a look at how students are being provisioned in the account.

ihsan
Community Explorer

Hi @Stef_retired Thank you for the prompt reply.

I'm viewing it as a teacher in speedgrader and I can see full list of names, not just their first name. However, this does not extend to canvas inbox. I hope I can give you the proof of our speedgrader but due to privacy issues I cannot fully reveal students' names. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@ihsan  I understand, and that's a good reason to bring this to Canvas Support: you'll be able to work with them to resolve this while maintaining student privacy. Please initiate a case, or contact the CSM team that helped your organization provision student names, so that they can look into it further away from public view. Thanks!