Display Name Change

0 Likes
(2)

I appreciate that Canvas has a feature to allow users to display pronouns. I would like to see an option to change the name that displays. When accounts are generated by IT systems using legal names, it would be helpful for some students to submit a request for a name change because they use a middle name, or nickname, or a different name that aligns more with their gender identity. Regarding the last one, when adults use preferred pronouns and preferred names, then students feel safer and valued.

Tags (3)
5 Comments
KatieNelson801
Community Explorer

Having the not preferred name display every time you are in Canvas or to have classmates reply to discussion posts using the name that is displayed rather than the preferred name can be annoying at the least and even hurtful.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@KatieNelson801  Thanks for sharing this idea. As you undoubtedly know, when usernames are populated via SIS, schools generally disable students' ability to edit their usernames.

Submitting a request for a name change in this scenario would generally be a process created and managed by the school, rather than something Canvas would facilitate. Would you clarify how you'd like to see the current Canvas functionality changed?

KatieNelson801
Community Explorer

Yes, I will. Thanks, Stefanie.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you, Katie!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived