Display a warning message that a quiz can't be accessed as New Quizzes is disabled at course-level

0 Likes
(2)

When you create a quiz using the New Quizzes tool and share it via Canvas Commons or the Send to option and then import the quiz to a Course Shell that has New Quizzes Disabled, you can view/edit/preview the imported quiz (created using New Quizzes) in the course shell that has New Quizzes disabled.

The New Quizzes tool is enabled at a course level, so when a New Quiz is imported into a course shell that has New Quizzes disabled, it should not let the user View/Edit the quiz that is created using the New Quizzes tool. It should display a warning message that this quiz can't be accessed because New Quizzes is disabled in your course.

When the same course does not let the user create a New Quiz if New Quizzes is Disabled at the course level, it should not let the user view/edit the imported New Quiz too.

This is a significant issue. Users can now edit the imported New Quiz in a course shell even if the New Quizzes feature is disabled.

Thanks!
10 Comments
cheddar2000
Community Explorer

I would like to see this as well. Any idea that lessens confusion for teachers is a win every time.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @PallaviJalakam -

PallaviJalakam
Community Contributor

@KristinL Thank you. We will raise a support ticket and I surely will let you know what I learn.

Thanks!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @cheddar2000 -

After reaching out to Support, what did you learn?

If you are unable to provide an update regarding this idea by February 28, we will need to archive it to help the Community Team focus on current Ideas. If you need more time, that's okay too! Providing an update before that time would be helpful and appreciated.

PallaviJalakam
Community Contributor

Hi @KristinL,

We have not heard anything from Canvas yet.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @PallaviJalakam -

I collaborated with a member of Canvas Support today, and they haven't seen a case from you. They are also curious to see what you're experiencing and see the process for themselves. 

Please create a case and have it escalated to Canvas Support. That case helps Instructure employees to collaborate and communicate. Please keep the Community updated with details. 🙂

How do I contact Canvas Support? 

How do I escalate a case to Canvas Support in the Field Admin Console? 

PallaviJalakam
Community Contributor

Hello @KristinL,

Thank you for the follow-up! We resubmitted the issue with Canvas Support today.

I have explained the issue in my initial post. Here are the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Create a quiz using the New Quizzes tool.
  2. Share the quiz via Canvas Commons or the Send to option.
  3. Import the shared quiz to a course shell that has New Quizzes Disabled.
  4. Open the imported quiz.
  5. View/Edit/Build/Preview the imported quiz. The Canvas should not let the user view/edit/preview this quiz (created using the New Quiz tool) as the New Quizzes tool is disabled in this course shell.

The New Quizzes tool is enabled at a course level, so when a New Quiz is imported into a course shell that has New Quizzes disabled, it should not let the user View/Edit the quiz that is created using the New Quizzes tool. It should display a warning message that this quiz can't be accessed because New Quizzes is disabled in your course.

(Disable New Quizzes: Settings > Feature Options > New Quizzes > Disabled)

Hope this helps! Happy to provide any other information if required.

Thanks!
Pallavi

PallaviJalakam
Community Contributor

Hi @KristinL,

So, we received an update from the Canvas Support team, and here is their response:

After additional research, we have determined New Quizzes can't be entirely disabled at a course level currently. The course feature option will only stop New Quizzes from being able to be created in the course, but the ability to use an imported New Quiz is based on the LTI functionality and can only be managed at an account level.

Suggested workaround: One current option would be to have all courses where you do not want New Quizzes to be used at all in their own account and disable the LTI within that account.

While the Canvas support team response did not convince me as that looks more like a bug to me and contradicts the Enable/Disable theory, I hope there will be some significant changes or quick fixes in the future.

It would be good if this can be acknowledged as a Known Issue in the New Quizzes documentation. If not, a simple Note mentioning this use case will lessen confusion among end-users. (Just for the greater audience who relies on Canvas documentation.)

Thanks!
Pallavi

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.