Display file upload progress bar for students uploading assignment submissions

This is a re-creation of Paul Rettey's original idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/11182-display-file-upload-progress-bar-for-students-uploading-..., which was archived. I believe this is an important UI/UX consideration. 

From here on is the text/images copied directly from the original idea...

At the moment when a student submits a file for an assignment there is no file upload progress displayed, instead students see the button 'Submitting...'

Canvas LMS Assignment submitting

If a student is submitting a media file that is quite large it would be very useful to the student to see a file upload progression bar. This will tell the student the file is being uploaded or if the upload has stalled.

Something like this would be useful:

307397_ydDu8.png

Perhaps with numerical feedback indicating speed of upload / amount uploaded / amount remaining. 

Thank you

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-07-01) .

17 Comments
prettey
Community Participant

Thanks Jon, I wondered where this had gone. I was trying to locate as its something our students have raised again. 

Cheers for keeping this on the radar!

kkhadden
Community Novice

Great idea! It would be nice for students to be able to see that their files are being uploaded. Far too often, a student uploads a rather large file and frantically reaches out to the support team prematurely because the page has "frozen". Only to have the submission complete just minutes into our interaction with them.

swysocki
Community Novice

PLEASE. I am currently in the process of uploading a 760MB file as my Final. I'm just supposed to trust Canvas?
Seriously, add a Progress Bar. 

christieo
Community Novice

May I also suggest that 'time remaining' is also added to the progress bar?

jkharris
Community Novice

I would like to see a percentage or fraction. I would also like to see this for teachers uploading files to the course (i.e., not just assignments by students). Should I submit that as a separate idea?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Yes,  @jkharris  and  Welcome to the Canvas Community! If you would like to see a feature that shows a progress bar for files uploaded to the course, please submit it as a separate idea—after searching for an existing one and reading How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community?‌ Thanks!

jon_mason
Community Participant

Hi Josh, just to mention that you do get a progress bar when you upload into the Files tool, but I'm assuming you're wanting one when you upload through the side bar when you're in the rich text editor? If you have created an idea for that, please do share it back here, as I'd certainly vote for it! 

mark_wolfersber
Community Novice

When students upload files to a timed quiz, they need to see how quickly the upload is progressing. If the upload is too slow, the quiz times out before it is complete. And I don't know how to adjust the time on the quiz because student have no idea how close their files were to being uploaded before the quiz timed out.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

When students upload submission files in supported assignments, a status indicator displays next to the Submit Assignment button. This indicator shows the progress of the file upload.

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-07-01)

prettey
Community Participant

Hooray! Thanks for the update stefaniesanders, very pleased that this is going to happen.