Display file upload progress bar for students uploading assignment submissions

This is a re-creation of Paul Rettey's original idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/11182-display-file-upload-progress-bar-for-students-uploading-..., which was archived. I believe this is an important UI/UX consideration. 

From here on is the text/images copied directly from the original idea...

At the moment when a student submits a file for an assignment there is no file upload progress displayed, instead students see the button 'Submitting...'

Canvas LMS Assignment submitting

If a student is submitting a media file that is quite large it would be very useful to the student to see a file upload progression bar. This will tell the student the file is being uploaded or if the upload has stalled.

Something like this would be useful:

307397_ydDu8.png

Perhaps with numerical feedback indicating speed of upload / amount uploaded / amount remaining. 

Thank you

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-07-01) .

17 Comments
dsibley
Community Member

I worked with students on Chrome yesterday and there is no upload progress bar.

olsona
Community Participant

We need a progress bar please.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@olsona The progress bar for file uploads to assignments was deployed to Canvas in July 2020, as detailed in the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-07-01). If you or your students are not seeing the progress bar during the file upload, please ask Canvas Support for assistance: How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?  provides general instructions.

olsona
Community Participant

Hello Stefanie,

Sorry, I didn't realize this conversation was related towards the 'Media Upload' and not the 'Record Media'. We don't see a progress bar for recorded media after Saving the video, it just looks like nothing is happening. I'm not finding a conversation related to this more specific issue.

The 'Upload Media' progress bar works beautifully! Thank you for that update.

Andy

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@olsona  Andy, it sounds like you're looking for  HTML video in Canvas.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed