Display relevant statistics directly in the Gradebook

0 Likes
(4)

Currently, the Gradebook (GB) displays no statistical information about class performance. This seems like the most relevant place to put such information. Examples of missing information that seemed useful to me include:

• Display the mean, stdev, high score, low score, # late, # missing, etc of each graded item at the bottom of every column
  • Display the due dates and available dates for each graded item, probably at the top under the assignment title
  • Clicking on an assignment title (or the little drop down menu) could bring up a histogram of student scores for that assignment, with customizable bin count

The stats calculated should be sensitive to the current filter settings. That is, if I'm only looking at grades for Section 4, then my averages should only be computed for that section.

This suggestion goes under my general viewpoint that the GB "tries to look and act like a spreadsheet, but doesn't really act like a spreadsheet". Things you would expect it to do, it just can't do.

6 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

@bbeck6 

Have you had a chance to check out the Course Analytics?

And there are new New Analytics that are in the works 

bbeck6
Community Member

Yes, I have looked at New Analytics. While NA does indeed display some of the above mentioned stats, it has some problems of its own:

• Most important, this information belongs in the gradebook, not some other page I have to navigate to to see stats about grades
  • It appears that TA's assigned the "Grader" role can't see the NA for their sections, forcing them to calculate this stuff manually
  • NA only allows a few sections to be displayed at a time. I have 18 sections in one course, forcing a lot of clicks to view simple averages
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

bbeck6
Community Member

I teach a large course with many sections that are graded *individually*. Thus the relevant information for a student is how well they are doing compared to others in THEIR section.

There appears to be no way to display this information to the students. Enabling the histograms under course settings displays averages/graphs for the WHOLE class, which is not relevant for the way we grade.

Please help to enable this capability! Thanks.

hodag87
Community Member

I would like there to be a simpler way to check the average score of an assignment.  Currently, one can go to New Analytics, but that is a bit of a hassle.  My request would be that one could click a spot, perhaps in the gradebook,  where the three dots appear at the end of the assignment title.  This would be very convenient - please consider adding, if possible. 

Thank you.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.