Divide Gradebook into Terms

0 Likes

Allow there to be an option to group assignments in the grade book as belonging to a certain term (i.e. semesters, trimesters, quarters). Would be helpful to either manually insert a cutoff date for terms, or have a dropdown on each assignment to assign it to a given term, or to apply a fixed date to the entire grade book that would automatically begin calculating grades for the next term once the date arrives and "freezes" grades in the previous term.

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@cbb22 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Could you elaborate on the use of "terms" in this context? In Canvas, a single course does not span multiple terms, so when the term reaches its conclusion date, the course would be over and the new course in the new term would then have a separate gradebook. This lesson provides guidance: How do I conclude an enrollment in a course? - Canvas Community 

You might want to reach out to your local Canvas admin to discuss the possibility of implementing grading periods. That feature does allow a single course to span across multiple grading periods (although one might want to call them "terms"), and the Gradebook allows the instructor to filter by grading period (How do I filter columns and rows in the Gradebook? - Canvas Community).

cbb22
Community Member

Hi Stefanie,

Thanks for the reply. I was unaware of the grading period feature, which seems to be what I'd like to have (what I mean by "terms") to use in my grade book. I'll talk with my admin and see if I can get that turned on; I'll post back here if I have further questions.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks! We'll archive this for now, but that won't keep you from posting additional questions. That said, if you have specific questions about setting up grading periods, please post those to the Question Forum where we have many thousands of people who will happily assist.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived