Do Not Show 'Correct Answer' Flags in Teacher View of Graded Survey in Speedgrader

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote Wed. August 5, 2015 - Wed. November 4, 2015  Learn more about voting...

We are using Graded Surveys because they do not provide a ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ answer indication to students for each question; rather, students receive an overall score (we use ‘100’ to indicate completion) when they submit their assignment. When students look at the Grades area for any assignment that is not muted, they will see their submission. For them, every answer will be marked ‘Your Answer’ with no indication that something might be correct/incorrect. This is good.

However, in the teacher's view of SpeedGrader, the first answer choice for each response is marked as ‘Correct’ – even on Graded Surveys which don't have 'right' or 'wrong' answers (that’s why we are using the Graded Survey functionality in the first place). This is inconvenient/confusing for our teachers who have to consciously disregard the red and green flags indicating that answers are right/wrong when in fact they are neither.

We request that whenever a Graded Survey is created, the teacher AND student view of the submitted responses should indicate "Your Answer" not the "Correct/Incorrect" answer flags. This should be the case in Speedgrader as well as in the grades area one sees when clicking on an individual student name in Speedgrader (which looks like it SHOULD be identical to what students see when they click on Grades).

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

As part of our upcoming release, SpeedGrader will no longer show correct answer flags. Thanks for your patience! Details included in production notes: Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-23)

37 Comments
patty_farrellco
Community Novice

I agree that it is a programming error.

patty_farrellco
Community Novice

I agree with Luke Yu.

garciah
Community Champion

I also agree that this is a bug fix that should be addressed, regardless of whether or not this "feature idea" gets 100 votes...

I also think that the option to assign points to individual survey questions should be removed:

107033_pastedImage_0.png

patty_farrellco
Community Novice

I agree that Canvas should not wait for 100 or so vote to fix this error. Thank you.

jen
Community Contributor

I think that there are two issues here:

1. Canvas labels the first answer choice as "Correct Answer" when you are setting up new questions in surveys/quizzes. This is an inconvenient labeling issue.

2. Canvas now (and only since July, 2015) marks participant responses as CORRECT or INCORRECT in graded surveys, which are not supposed to have right or wrong answers. This is a bug. This is what my original post referred to. It needs to be fixed.

Community Novice

Related to this thread, it would be nice to have a setting "this question doesn't have a right answer" in quizzes. For example, I have instructors who set up quizzes in science classes with the last question occasionally being "how much time did you spend on this quiz?" and Canvas automatically sets up a correct answer, which confuses students and teachers alike.

angela_nicholas
Community Novice

We are using ungraded surveys as feedback questionnaires. We have had several students confused when the message "Correct answers are hidden" after they submit their answer. Once this issue is fixed, I hope that message also goes away and these are treated as true surveys.

elk2028
Community Novice

Yes, I would be very happy having 'no correct answers' option as well! Is there a separate fix topic for that, so we can up-vote?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is complete.

Please reference the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-10-31)   for more information.

Multiple Question Types and Correct Answer Text

Surveys don’t show Correct Answer as an answer label.

Explanation: When an instructor created a multiple type question (such as multiple choice, multiple answer, and multiple drop-down questions) in a survey, the answer label showed as Correct Answer instead of Possible Answer. This behavior occurred because surveys were not differentiated from regular question types, and surveys contain no right or wrong answer. Canvas code has been updated to not show Correct Answer as an answer label in surveys.

angela_nicholas
Community Novice

That’s great. However, students still see “Correct answers are hidden” after they submit ungraded surveys. Is this in the queue to fix, as well?

Thank you,

Angela Nicholas

Senior Instructional Designer, Professional Development | NWEA™

ADDRESS 121 NW Everett Street, Portland, OR 97209

PHONE 971.271.6995 (x5437)

NWEA.ORG<http://www.nwea.org/> | Partnering to Help All Kids Learn®

Skills Navigator<http://www.nwea.org/SkillsNavigator>™ – the NEW skills mastery and progress monitoring assessment from NWEA™