Do Not Show 'Correct Answer' Flags in Teacher View of Graded Survey in Speedgrader

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote Wed. August 5, 2015 - Wed. November 4, 2015  Learn more about voting...

We are using Graded Surveys because they do not provide a ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ answer indication to students for each question; rather, students receive an overall score (we use ‘100’ to indicate completion) when they submit their assignment. When students look at the Grades area for any assignment that is not muted, they will see their submission. For them, every answer will be marked ‘Your Answer’ with no indication that something might be correct/incorrect. This is good.

However, in the teacher's view of SpeedGrader, the first answer choice for each response is marked as ‘Correct’ – even on Graded Surveys which don't have 'right' or 'wrong' answers (that’s why we are using the Graded Survey functionality in the first place). This is inconvenient/confusing for our teachers who have to consciously disregard the red and green flags indicating that answers are right/wrong when in fact they are neither.

We request that whenever a Graded Survey is created, the teacher AND student view of the submitted responses should indicate "Your Answer" not the "Correct/Incorrect" answer flags. This should be the case in Speedgrader as well as in the grades area one sees when clicking on an individual student name in Speedgrader (which looks like it SHOULD be identical to what students see when they click on Grades).

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

As part of our upcoming release, SpeedGrader will no longer show correct answer flags. Thanks for your patience! Details included in production notes: Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-23)

37 Comments
garciah
Community Champion

Students also see points associated with ungraded survey questions, and they see "submit quiz" instead of "submit survey". Are these fixes also in the queue?

student_view_ungraded_survey.png

jen
Community Contributor

Thank you. Can you please tell me if this will apply to quizzes that have already been created or only those that are created from now on?

jlafrance
Instructure
Instructure

@jen ​,

I just tested this in my sandbox with a new graded survey and I'm still seeing one of the issues you originally reported.

In the teacher's view of SpeedGrader and where they view student results through the Quiz page, the first answer choice for each response is marked as ‘Correct’ – even on Graded Surveys which don't have 'right' or 'wrong' answers. This make for inaccurate survey statistics.

This is confusing for faculty who are reviewing graded surveys. Luckily, students no longer see the "correct/incorrect" flags - just "your answer". Smiley Happy

@Renee_Carney ​ - would you suggest creating new feature requests for these items?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Yes.  Thank you for asking.

If it is a new idea.  It is helpful to first search and see if someone else submitted it.  If not, submit a new idea 😉

jen
Community Contributor

Thanks, Deactivated user and  @Renee_Carney .

Can you tell me how this differs from the original issue? I'm confused by the request to create a new feature request for something that I think was supposed to be resolved.

jen
Community Contributor

While I am glad that the "Surveys don’t show Correct Answer as an answer label." feature has been added, it is NOT RELATED to the feature idea that I submitted here.  @Renee_Carney ​ Deactivated user - could you please remove the label indicating that my idea has been addressed. It has not been fixed as far as I can tell.

Again, here is my issue: 

In the teacher's view of SpeedGrader, the first answer choice for each response is marked as ‘Correct’ – even on Graded Surveys which don't have 'right' or 'wrong' answers (that’s why we are using the Graded Survey functionality in the first place). This is inconvenient/confusing for our teachers who have to consciously disregard the red and green flags indicating that answers are right/wrong when in fact they are neither.

We request that whenever a Graded Survey is created, the teacher AND student view of the submitted responses should indicate "Your Answer" not the "Correct/Incorrect" answer flags. This should be the case in Speedgrader as well as in the grades area one sees when clicking on an individual student name in Speedgrader.

Community Participant

The original request -- which appears to have been resolved -- was about appearance. Before the fix, a particular answer was shown as being correct when composing a survey. What has not been fixed is the data side of things: When you export survey results, the spreadsheet still indicates which answer was "correct" and how many points a student got for it. This carries over to the survey statistics page, which also show how many students got an answer "correct" when there is no correct answer.

This is frustrating for instructors who want to use the quiz/survey function to take a survey of their students in one week, and then share the results with them the following week. They might just be able to take a screenshot of the survey stats for that question, but all the graphs and other text results would be confusing for a student to view ("what do you mean, correct?"). See attached screen shot.

In my thinking, the intent of this bug fix request hasn't actually been fulfilled.

Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 2.33.33 PM.png

bsr
Community Contributor

I am kind of relieved to see this post, because I was very confused to see this marked as "completed." At least I'm not the only one! I found this thread today because I am having exactly this problem ... today ... so it clearly hasn't been completed! It seems like the whole point of having "survey" as a separate category would be to not have to specify "right" and "wrong" answers. Those would be graded or ungraded quizzes, not surveys. I use surveys for voting on dates for extracurricular activities, for letting students assess team member contributions on group projects, and anything else where I want feedback, rather than answers. It's just plain weird that every time I look at the results, I'm seeing percentage that got the answer "correct," when there is no such thing! It's confusing and makes the results difficult to interpret.

jen
Community Contributor

Actually, I believe there are two different problems that were conflated here and I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough from the start.

1. When a new question was created, the answer choices the creator could select said "Correct Answer" and "Possible Answer" instead of just "Possible Answer" which didn't make sense for graded surveys for which there is not a correct answer. THIS APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN FIXED.

2. When a graded survey has been published and answers are submitted by users, SpeedGrader still shows that the first answer choice for each response is marked as ‘Correct’ – even on Graded Surveys which don't have 'right' or 'wrong' answers (that’s why we are using the Graded Survey functionality in the first place). This is inconvenient/confusing for our teachers who have to consciously disregard the red and green flags indicating that answers are right/wrong when in fact they are neither. THIS HAS NOT BEEN FIXED AS FAR AS I CAN SEE.

error.png

If I have missed something, please let me know. Thanks!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you  @jen ​

Sorry for the delay.  We wanted to take the time to research the changes that were made.  In reviewing this with the product manager, it looks like the answer option label for a graded survey was changed from "correct answer" to "possible answer".  This change was not automatically reflected in Speedgrader.  The product manager has it in the queue.

I will take the completed banners off of this idea.  This idea will go into archive, as we do not know when this update will be made.  Follow this idea for updates as they are available.