[Course Settings] Do not allow course end date prior to start date

In the course settings, it is possible to set the course end date prior to the course start date. It seems that this should not be permitted. Or, at a minimum, a warning icon should appear alerting the user making manual changes to the course settings that this has occurred. Many schools manually copy course content in from other courses - including the settings. The instructor then updates the course start date, but fails to update the course end date, which results in the course end date being prior to the start date.

The potential impact of this is that if the 'only allow users to participate between these dates' option is checked in the course settings, an instructor may unintentionally block students from accessing the course and/or conclude the course based on the end date.

18 Comments
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I said a gift, not the only gift... Smiley Wink

millerjm
Community Champion

Having a start date after the end date breaks LTI tools.  We have had several instructors who called with problems and we figured out it was due to invalid end dates. 

Kim_AspirEDU
Partner
Partner

Hi Joni! The good news is that Canvas just recently pushed through a change so that the end date can no longer be set prior to the start date! Woohoo!

@scottdennis ​, I think we're okay to mark this feature request as 'done', correct? The Christmas panda took care of it. Smiley Happy

DanBurgess
Community Participant

As mentioned by @KimberlyMunzon, I too thought this was corrected some time ago but it still shows as "On The Radar".  Is more work expected with course dates?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

brett_g_dalton
Community Novice

This should be basic validation on the form entry.  I'm suprised its not already there.

Mikee
Community Participant

While this appears to have been implemented, there's no information presented that indicates why the subject didn't save, and no error shown if the end date is set prior to the open date. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme