Do not allow students to take a quiz after the due date

Quizzes have several date features:

A. Quiz Due Date:  Date by which the quiz must be taken.

B. Available From Date - Available To Date:  The quiz is available only between these two dates.

C. Show Quiz Answers Date - Hide Quiz Answer Date:  Quiz answers can be seen by students between these dates.

These dates, as implemented in Canvas, have limited some operations.

I would like the students to be able to see the answers after the due date but they should not be able to take the quiz after the due date.   If I use available dates feature, it allows the answers to be seen and also allows students to take the quiz.  Of course, the grade shows late but I have to go into the grade book manually and adjust the scores of students, who took it after the due date.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

13 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

202498_pastedImage_3.pngThank you for your Feature Idea submission. We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for insight.

Since archived ideas can be re-submitted, your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers as well.

sthomas41
Community Novice

I wish this were already implemented.  I have the same problem: I want my students to be able to see the results of their quizzes, but I do NOT want students to be able to submit quizzes late.  One of the major points (for me) of doing quizzes is that it should cut back on the amount of work a professor needs to do- i.e., Canvas should grade certain quizzes for us!  Instead, Canvas sets things up so that we must spend even more time grading- going in afterward and fixing all the grades of students who took the assignment late.  I hope more people vote for this!

kmatson
Community Explorer

Use the lock-out dates and students can't take the quiz after the due date.

Karen

kona
Community Champion

If you use the "until" date students can see their results, but can't take the quiz.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

210669_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

naboznyk
Community Participant

Is there a way for a quiz to be visible and accessible after the due date, but not submissible after the due date?

If students miss the due date on a quiz, I do not want them to receive the points, but I still want them to have access to the quiz questions (at least) as a study guide for the exam. Setting the "until" date locks them out of the quiz completely which prompts questions like "Professor, how can I study for the exam without the quiz I missed?". Previously, I warn students that they will NOT have access to the quizzes after the due date if they do not submit them, but it is still annoying.

kona
Community Champion

The only way to have access to the quiz questions is to take the quiz. If the students don't take the quiz then they won't have access to it. Thus to give them access they have to take it, which you don't want them to do. 

One thing you could do is create an identical quiz and make it not worth any points, so a "practice quiz" (as canvas calls it). 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea will remain in the open voting forum as an idea related to Priority: Quizzes.Next

*Being a related idea does not guarantee it is slated for development, instead it indicates that the idea is related to the overall scope and is being used to inform the process.

anne_lightbody
Community Explorer

In addition, it would be great if the instructor could set a late penalty that is calculated automatically.  I often want students to be able to take and view a quiz or survey, even if late, but I do not want them to receive full credit for doing so. (Otherwise, there is no incentive to get their work in on time.)

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@anne_lightbody ‌, that would be a separate feature from the one under discussion here. You might want to add your feedback and vote to a related idea that's on Product Radar: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1054-deduct-x-or-x-points-per-day-for-each-day-an-assignment-s... 

pfau
Community Explorer

For those that may stumble across this looking for a solution to the posted problem, I think there may have been an update which allows for quizzes to be viewable but preventing students from submitting the quiz for a grade (well, they'll get a grade, but it won't be pretty!). Apply a late submission policy: How do I apply a Late Submission policy in the New Gradebook? I have mine "generously" set to 50% deduction per day. But it can be set to 100%. Everyone should be able to revisit the quizzes after the deadline, but those that submit late will receive whatever deduction you think is appropriate. But the late policy applies to all grades, not individuals quizzes or categories of submissions.

However, this feature may not be available to "free for teacher" users--I'm not sure.

Steven_S
Community Champion

There is also an idea to have different policies for different assignments: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10441-separate-late-policies-for-individual-assignments 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you everyone for contributing to this idea! We acknowledge that this has been a long-standing thread in the Community, but because Intructure’s product teams are no longer developing new functionality for Classic Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated 2024, we are archiving this idea. We hope that you continue to participate in the Community’s Idea Process!

The resources in the New Quizzes User Group should help you get started with using New Quizzes in your courses. If you don't see the ability to enable New Quizzes in the settings area of one of your courses, please reach out to your local Canvas admin for information about its availability at your school.