DocViewer: Full-Screen Option for Previews

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For document previews using the DocViewer tool, there really needs to be a full-screen option (this feature was available with the Box previewer). 

In addition to normal file previews, it would be great if the full-screen option was also available for students when they review the annotations on their submissions. Right now, when students review their submissions, they get a window-within-a-window view of their annotated submission. It would be a better user experience if they could throw that preview full-screen to review the feedback and comments from their teacher. Again, this feature was available for previews with the Box previewer.

docviewer‌

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11514-canvas-release-docviewer?sr=search&searchId=0085ebfe-...

16 Comments
lakeshac_heath
Community Novice

I agree with you.  I believe that the window within the window prohibits students from truly reading their annotations.  It is hard enough to have them read it in normal view, but to make it more difficult to read in full screen could deflect students from reviewing annotations. 

dpell
Community Explorer

For students it's a window inside a window inside a window.

I don't see why this thread is marked as "Completed".  I've tried this function again today (using the students' view) and it remains unchanged.  Students (but not teachers) still have a small, re-sizeable box inside a window inside the browser window.  And the re-sizeable box still "sticks" to the mouse when you move it over, even without clicking, which means it resizes when you don't want it to.  It has been like this since I started using Canvas 9 months ago.  Fixing this isn't an "upgrade" or a "new feature", it's a major bug fix and ought to be a TOP priority for Infrastructure.

This video demonstrates the problem.

Canvas_DocViewer_Display_Problem_(June_17) 

I'm afraid I have no idea how to file this as a "Support Case", so if anyone from Infrastructure reads this please do so.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@dpell , filing this as a "Support Case" means that you will initiate a help ticket or help request from your Canvas account, following the instructions at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10158-4152719652?sr=search&searchId=df17afad-e1b8-45eb-9a0e...‌ (From your screencast, I can see the Help option at the lower left of the red global navigation on the left side of the screen.) It would be very helpful to the support tech if you were to include the link to your screencast in the body of the Report a Problem ticket.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @dpell ‌

The idea here, that is marked complete, is actually different from what you are seeking.

Here is the idea you are looking for https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/6272-improve-student-crocdoc-comment-viewaccessibility" modifi....

This isn't on the list for immediate attention, however it is something that our product team would like to improve in the future.  

You can find the list of  functionality getting immediate attention at DocViewer Plan 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed