DocViewer Instructor Feedback Download

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

The old version of Crocodoc allowed students to download a pdf of their assignment with Instructor annotations and feedback.  This should be added to the DocViewer as well so that students don't loose this feature.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please see Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-03-10) 

For more information, please read through the DocViewer Plan.

Download annotated PDF:  Done 3/20/18
37 Comments
kblack
Community Champion

I realize Instructure was under the gun with this one in light of the fact that Crocodoc was no longer going to be supported by Box by the end of the year, as spelled out in the blog post announcing the new DocViewer.  Additionally, I gather this is all a part of the new, improved Speedgrader 2.0 .  But I'm afraid that the DocViewer seems rushed out before the product was finished, in light of this alarming oversight. As Kael points out as the very first comment here, this is especially important in light of the fact that student resubmissions means the student can no longer view the instructor comments.  I'm sorry, but this simply should not have been released until one or the other of these issues was fixed.

brendaa
Community Contributor

Yes, this is causing problems for students who are unable to successfully view the full comments and now there is no option to download.  The "comments" side of the View Feedback window can end up expanding to such an extent that students only have a tiny view of the actual document.  Apparently this is caused by long links being included in the Comments exchanged by students and instructors.  I have reported this to support who escalated the issue.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

141 votes in 5 days!  This is clearly a must-have.  I hope it's easy to add this feature and that Canvas takes note - summer is a great time to test things out but by Fall a lot more students will be effected.  I also like  @beerline_n ‌'s comment about making it easier to download the pdf with annotations.

hodges_hf
Community Novice

I could not agree more with these comments. Annotated submissions, including suggestions, corrections, edits, and kudos should be a learning tool for students moving forward. It is a must have for students if we want them to improve their writing, for faculty records (how else would I realize that the same comments I am writing now on a dissertation are exactly the same ones I wrote on that student's first paper in his PhD program??!), and for accreditation artifact data.  Please add!!  I am new to SpeedGrader, but a long time advocate of Turnitin GradeMark where the download option is available to both students and faculty (as is the ability to save custom common comments). I put a great deal of time into feedback and don't want it to evaporate into the cosmos once the course is complete. This about quality and efficiency for teaching/learning. Thank you. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Idea is currently in development

Greetings all.  

I notice a lot of anxiety over this feature idea, and I want to refer you back to the conversations in the Insights: Canvas DocViewer blog post.  This topic has been covered exhaustively, and it is in the works.

Here is a very clear comment posted by Erin in that thread.

And yes, DocViewer matches Crocodoc functionality with a few limitations—for now. Features that we've noted as coming soon (annotation downloads, colors, and free text) will be available as close to production as possible. Our engineers know these features are important and want to get them to you just as soon as they can.

Production release was officially Saturday, June 24, 2017, so we'll let you know when we know downloads is getting closer.

BethCrook
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you Renee!  We'll keep our anxiety under control...for now Smiley Wink   

mmigdal
Community Novice

The new Croc Docs is not user friendly.  We need the ability to download our student's papers.  Thank you.

jomullen
Community Participant

I agree!

I have been using bulk downloads, converting non-PDF documents to PDF, then uploading annotated documents to individual students or teams for many years now. I do a lot of math stuff, so I'll probably continue this for a while. However, I want to comment on the importance of the student being able to download an annotated copy.

Because the vast majority of my students are distance students, we rely heavily on electronic communication. The ability of the student to have a copy of the annotated work on their own computers has been very useful. Because both of us can just bring up the annotated copy on our own computers without having to go through Canvas, we can use canvas to communicate. We can use chat without having to open multiple windows while each of us is referencing the same document. Also, many of my students frequently access Canvas from their cell phones. Being able to print the document makes things a lot easier for them. Finally, I archive all student work because some students ask questions after the semester is over.

The current free version of Adobe Reader includes markup tools. That means, I can grade from my home computer or laptop without having to get an additional Acrobat license. Also, students can use the free version to write their comments on the marked-up documents I sent them and email me an annotated copy of my annotated copy to clarify a point. Even though the conversion process I use involves extra work, in the end it saves me more time that it costs.

From an academic standpoint, I would add that most of all, we keep telling students we expect them to remember what they learned in a course after taking the final. Students not being able to download and archive their graded work undermines that effort.

tomaszac
Community Novice

This feature is critical! I'm surprised canvas removed it with the "update"

Please get this working again soon. Thanks guys, Canvas rocks. 

goddarda
Community Novice

I would like to add to this conversation as a user. Trying to view annotations by instructors/professors in a browswer is IMPOSSIBLE! Downloading a PDF is okay (I guess) but I loose the ability to edit the documentation as I read the notes, as some are simple comments on spelling or add more detail. I have to print it out, go to my original document (thank god I saved it) and them flip back and forth between the pdf printout and working document on my computer to edit the document. I have to submit my document in .docx format, I should be able to download my document in .docx format.