DocViewer: drag-scroll selection by Tool

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In the current DocViewer implementation, tools cannot be used to select an area that includes a portion of the document that is not yet onscreen. Attempts to get a document to "follow" the tool (via drag-scrolling) instead end the selection process at the point where the cursor exited the document area. 

Please consider a modification where dragging the tool off the edge of the document window will instead scroll the window and select the revealed text/area of that document.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-11-18) 

7 Comments
kmcgee
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@herriott10ad ‌ would you be willing to upload a screencast of your feature enhancement idea? I want to make sure I've got a clear understanding of what you are asking for. Thanks!

herriott10ad
Community Novice

https://mediasite.osu.edu/Mediasite/Play/8a82ef1754b7417cadee6319d04319e21d 

Hope this video helps! Let me know if the quality (or the player) is insufficient.

akerr
Community Novice

In a related annoyance, the Select tools in DocViewer don't work properly when trying to select text that runs from one page to another, especially if there are headers or footers in the document. Maybe a fix such as you are describing could kill several birds with one stone?

sarah_grayston
Community Explorer

I think this is the same idea that I was about to create.   We are finding that if a teacher is marking in speedgrader, they often want to highlight text over 2 pages and provide a comment.   This is currently not possible.  This would be a great feature enhancement and save our staff a lot of time when marking online.

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

Hi, Mark,

We apologize for inadvertently updating this idea. Scrolling was corrected as part of a fixed bug inCanvas Production Release Notes (2017-11-18). The functionality isn't 100% of what we'd like it to be, but like everything in DocViewer, our team continues to make adjustments to make the product better. They'll keep working on improving this functionality.

Thanks!

Erin

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed