Don't Include Ungraded Assignments with Future Due Dates in Student Grade Summary

0 Likes
(1)

ClatskanieSandy_0-1635441570733.jpeg

Do not include ungraded assignments with future due dates in the grade summary for students.

Here is an image showing our problem for the students.  I have unchecked the box "Calculate based only on graded assignments."  This student has 69% approximately for all homework assigned and either turned in, graded or not turned in.  For Exams though, there is one coming up on November 3rd, and is the only exam (100 points), and it is giving a zero percent as if not completed but already assigned, then puts it in the weighted percent on the bottom which shows 48%.  For this case, the student can look at the classwork to see actual grade, but for most, there are other tests that would be on the Exam line, as well as possible future assignments, that would change the Classwork line item percent.  This is exactly the same on my computer, and the student's.  It is adding into the calculations all future assignments from both student and linked observer platforms.  Any ideas?  I'm hoping setup config might give some options but I do not have that access or know if it is possible.  Yet.  🐵
Thanks again!
Sandy

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@ClatskanieSandy 

(For members following the discussion, this is a follow-up to the now-locked conversation at More Accurate Grade Checks for Students .)

Thanks for doing this additional research. Based on what you've described, this is functioning as designed, since you've unchecked the "Calculate based only on graded assignments" box: once the student does that, the 0 for the exam not yet attempted will factor into the grade calculation. This is detailed in  How do I view my grades in a current course?  :

The current grade is calculated by adding up the graded assignments according to their weight in the course grading scheme. This grade is calculated with the Calculate based only on graded assignments checkbox [1] selected in the sidebar.

Retaining the default setting for the grade calculation should resolve the issue. Students can also leave the box checked and use What-if to calculate hypothetical scores for the exam they haven't yet taken. 

Have you submitted a ticket to Canvas Support to ask them to investigate the behavior and perhaps identify any sticking points in the process?

ClatskanieSandy
Community Member

I think the program is functioning correctly as it is set up.  I'm just hoping that in the future, there will be a way for students to see what their grade is for all missing and turned in assignments but only up to the present date, so the future assignments won't be incorporated into the calculation.  🐵  If they only turn in one assignment, but are missing 7 assignments and tests, and there are 4 upcoming assignments next month already entered, then there presently isn't a way for them to view a true grade percent, at least from what I have been able to determine.  Any future changes or updates, may want to add the option "grade percentage up to present date" or perhaps "grade percentage for date range" and the future items could be excluded. Just thoughts making a good program even better!  🐵

Sincerely,
Sandy

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks, @ClatskanieSandy . This is the general guidance I gave to my students:

Calculate based only on graded assignments, checked: This is the current cumulative score based on all assignments that have been submitted and graded as of today. As long as the teacher is up to date on grading, this score is the one you're looking for. (Note that the default state of the checkbox is checked, as most of our users have found this to be the more valuable view for students.)

Calculate based only on graded assignments, unchecked: This is the final grade the student will receive if the teacher has graded all assignments to date and the student does not complete any more work in the course.

Hope this helps! 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

ClatskanieSandy
Community Member

That works great for many students!  Our situation is when we have students missing many assignments, but think they are passing due to it only showing the graded assignments.  The percentage doesn't take into consideration the missing assignments, whether 1 or 10, that makes them have a much lower score.  When we uncheck the box to show them a closer percentage, that is when the future assignments effect it adversely.  🐵 

ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.