[Assignments] Download Assignment Comments and Completed Rubrics

It would be nice to have an option to download everything related to a completed, graded assignment in one PDF: the annotated PDF of the submission, the "assignment comments" discussion, and the completed rubric with values.

Currently, within crocodo, we can "Download annotated PDF (includes comments)" and that's really helpful, but we have no way of downloading a record of the Assignment Comments and we have no way to download the rubric. (We've resorted to taking individual screen shots.)

This is important for accreditation - we need an archive of everything related to an assignment. Students need this for their e-portfolios, too.

This is related to a request in the old pre-2015 Zendesk request:

https://help.instructure.com/entries/22865834-Download-Speedgrader-Comments-with-Assignments which requested just that Assignment Comments be included. I would like to add Rubrics, too.

This idea was considered when developing our product plan for Q4 2019 and is not expected to influence development within Canvas at this time.

:smileyinfo: This idea will remain open for vote.

:smileyinfo: If this idea is in the top 10% by vote next cycle it will be reconsidered.

Read more about the feature idea process:

Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes

How does the feature idea process work in the Canvas Community?

What is the feature development process for Canvas?

What is the feature development process for Canvas?

Added to Theme

105 Comments
mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you all for you input and great ideas. Our product team is diligently planning for the next 12 months. Unfortunately, this work has not been slated. Please note that that does not mean we will never work on this. We will track this feature idea and reassess in several months.

canvas_admin
Community Champion

Deactivated user, Do you mean "Please note that this does not mean we will never work on this"?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Yes, I am pretty confident that is what McCall meant!  Thank you for helping her out!

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Eeeeek, that was a terrible typo. Yes that is what I meant. I have edited the original post to reflect my original intent. Sorry for the confusion.

James
Community Champion

@BKINNEY ​,

This is an old thread but I just stumbled across it today. Have you gotten any further with how to make it easily accessible to faculty? The PHP on your end is great if there is a central agency collecting intelligence on artifacts for accreditation, but you're right about some faculty wanting that directly.

I've been doing a lot of work with Greasemonkey and Tampermonkey and user scripts that you load on specific machine/browser/user combinations and then only runs on the pages you tell it to run on.

Other people have been using Canvas permissions to enforce availability, but the roles of a current user is contained inside a variable within the page, so we should be able to do a search for particular roles like teacher and then only add the button on those.

The JavaScript could call your PHP script, but it's probably possible to rewrite the whole thing in JavaScript, especially given the simplicity of the situation.

I was talking with  @kona ​ about this how this information was already available in the API and that someone should have mentioned it in a request that 96 people up-voted. That was you, so I thought I would where things were on your end before doing something on mine.

Cindy_Masek
Community Contributor

That might work for some people, but some of us must depend on out-of-the box functionality. We are a small college with a Canvas/IT support team is of two and no one to write special script. I'm thinking we aren't the only ones who must depend on the usability of Canvas in its "natural" state. 🙂

BKINNEY
Community Contributor

James,

If you want to help me beta test, watch my YouTube demo, and then message me privately so I can help you get a key and secret. I'm still in the midst of trying to get an Auth token work flow strong enough to inspire me to make this public on the eduappcenter.

You might want to skip the first two minutes or so, of the demo, because the installation process shown isn't valid off our campus. All the rest is about what you do once you have the app installed.

BTW, I can only request tokens on Canvas instances hosted by instructure, but there is a brand new process for issuing developer keys if you are self-hosted. Not sure it has made it out of beta yet, but if not, it should be soon.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi again, Cindy! Seems like I just talked to you in another thread - oh yeah, I did!

We are also a small admin/support office of two, and greatly depend on the out-of-box functionality. Neither my partner nor myself could be classified as "coders" and did not need to be with our previous LMSs.

That being said, we are both teaching ourselves some coding tricks at our rather slow self-taught pace, because Canvas does provide that opportunity to hack it's UI with code and expand its functionality without bloating the existing UI.

James
Community Champion

@Cindy_Masek ​,

While I appreciate that some people may not be able to use scripts, Canvas has said that incorporating this into Canvas isn't going to happen in the next 12 months. So, you can sit around and wait for something that probably won't happen or you can let others help you out.

Becky and I aren't talking about you writing scripts. We're talking about someone else writing them and then you using them. And specifically, we're talking about a CSV export of the rubric, not the broader picture. Canvas might be able to do that part of it quickly and it might be worth making a feature request for just that, but doing the other is probably a big chore.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

James:

I I would never imply that there are not helpful folks out there, and you are one of the bestest and mostest helpful.

I was simply commiserating with another small department without coding skills.