[Assignments] Download Assignment Comments and Completed Rubrics

It would be nice to have an option to download everything related to a completed, graded assignment in one PDF: the annotated PDF of the submission, the "assignment comments" discussion, and the completed rubric with values.

Currently, within crocodo, we can "Download annotated PDF (includes comments)" and that's really helpful, but we have no way of downloading a record of the Assignment Comments and we have no way to download the rubric. (We've resorted to taking individual screen shots.)

This is important for accreditation - we need an archive of everything related to an assignment. Students need this for their e-portfolios, too.

This is related to a request in the old pre-2015 Zendesk request:

https://help.instructure.com/entries/22865834-Download-Speedgrader-Comments-with-Assignments which requested just that Assignment Comments be included. I would like to add Rubrics, too.

This idea was considered when developing our product plan for Q4 2019 and is not expected to influence development within Canvas at this time.

:smileyinfo: This idea will remain open for vote.

:smileyinfo: If this idea is in the top 10% by vote next cycle it will be reconsidered.

Read more about the feature idea process:

Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes

How does the feature idea process work in the Canvas Community?

What is the feature development process for Canvas?

What is the feature development process for Canvas?

Added to Theme

105 Comments
matthew_weather
Community Novice
Author

When the new DocViewer replaces Crocodoc (by June 24, 2017 - currently available in beta), we will lose the ability to download a PDF with annotations.

For accreditation purposes, we need to be able to save "artifacts" as evidence of student outcomes. We would like to be able to download in a single PDF document all of the following from the SpeedGrader:

• The student's submission
  • The annotation comments
  • The assignment comments
  • The grade
  • The rubric

And ideally, there would be a way to download all of the students' submissions at once, rather than doing it one-by-one. Currently, we're stuck downloading the PDF with annotated comments, plus doing a screen shot of the rubric.

We're hoping that since the new DocViewer is built-in as a part of Canvas, all of that data is in the same place and eventually this feature will be added.

c_bailey
Community Novice

Having moved (due to institutional policy) from using Turnitin Feedback Studio to Canvas Speedgrader, I'm appalled at the loss of functionality and agree with  @matthew_weather  comment of 14 June 2017 that it should be possible to bundle all the information related to an assignment into one PDF - which should be easily printable. This is necessary not just for accreditation and quality control purposes, but for students who prefer to review their feedback in hard copy.

I'm also appalled at how long ago this idea was featured without (as far as I can tell) being acted upon. Will feed forward my dissatisfaction at a university meeting on Electronic Management of Assessment next week. 

#speedgrader

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

dmcgetch
Community Novice

I have been pasting a checklist at the end of the student document file and filling that out, so the student and I both have a record of what they need to fix on the paper. I'd like to be able to use the rubric system.  I do not want to use it if I cannot keep a record of it outside of Canvas, as a backup. I'd like to download grading in a rubric. It downloads comments but not the rubric feedback currently.  I'd like a single button that downloads a zip file with all my comments and rubric grading for each student for an assignment.  Then work on another button that grades them all for me!

j_denholm-price
Community Explorer

Great idea -- one of my colleagues refuses to grade with a rubric even though he recognizes their utility because the information is currently/apparently stuck in Canvas -- this would be so useful!

ronmarx
Community Contributor

This idea is part of a group of rubric improvements that will make Canvas rubrics look and act more like their real-world counterparts. Please visit https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12350-simplify-rubrics-look-and-operation  and vote it up so it becomes part of the grand upgrade of rubrics!

kevinn
Community Novice

This would be extremely helpful for external verification reasons. I have resorted to copy and pasting the rubric comments into the assignment comments box but this takes time to format. 

rodgerk6
Community Novice

For educational research purposes, I need to be able to download graded rubrics from canvas (ideally in an excel file). I think this issue needs to be addressed for canvas to keep its relevance in a time where data is of extreme importance. If you "vote up" this idea, please also "vote up" the similar idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10249-rubric-export . Also I recommend that you "vote up" https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3311-export-aggregate-rubric-scores-to-identify-strengths-and-... . Also please advertise this to other faculty to help get this idea further supported. It is pathetic that this has been clearly discussed for over three years and it has not been addressed.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

In pedagogical practice, I also recommend voting up similar and related ideas: Text Conversion to QTI for Bulk Question Import and Create a Secondary Rubric Structure to Conform with Conventions. I also echo the sentiments of Kelsey Rodgers.

arensburg_maitl
Community Novice

For compliance we need samples of student work. Without being able to print the rubric it is rendering it useless.