[Discussions] Download discussion board posts

We would like to be able to download all of the discussion board posts from our course this semester for faculty analysis. We would also like students to be able to download and/or view all of their posts to review at the end of the semester in one place. This would create a type of e-portfolio for each student based on their work during the semester.

Added to Theme

85 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

Ch_Higgins
Community Explorer

Julie,

This is something I've considered for a long time. Working in an elementary school, it's really important to be able to highlight student work and share portfolios with parents. I would love a way to easily group a student's work and share it to their classroom teacher, parent, or admin.

johast
Community Novice

This is a very important feature for me. I can see myself using this for every discussion assignment that I create. 

mtw56
Community Member

This is something that should be available in Canvas without a question. I have faculty who continually tell me that Blackboard has this feature as well as the ability to see all of a student's discussion posts throughout a course. 

julian_ebeli
Community Participant

Hi Marcus

GET /api/v1/courses/:course_id/discussion_topics/:topic_id/entries

is less cluttered and easier to work with.

user_names are attached to their entries, unlike in view where its just user_ids linking the data.

Cheers

mwe_sci
Community Explorer

That's right – Blackboard has had multiple methods for organizing and downloading discussion posts for a decade or more. The wheel doesn't need reinvention. Some suggestions don't need voting on.

bec_plumbe
Community Participant

Mark & Mark - YES! As someone who's come from 10 years of Blackboard, completely agree that this has been available there forever and it's just a basic requirement of a functional LMS. Export should be easy and everywhere.

ofelia_mangen
Community Explorer

Echoing the need for a straightforward export function for discussions.

emoss798
Community Member

While it is not the prettiest, (Ok... bordering on butt-ugly) you can do a CTRL P and print the discussion into a PDF file.  Pictures are replace with hyperlinks to their location in your Canvas directory.  Other hyperlinks and formatting do come across.

Brute force and crude, perhaps... but it it may be a workable approach for you.

Eric Moss

kinardk
Community Novice

Thank you.

Karen Kinard

Tallahassee Community College

Science/Mathematics Division

444 Appleyard Drive

Tallahassee, FL 32304

850-201-8096