[Discussions] Download discussion board posts

We would like to be able to download all of the discussion board posts from our course this semester for faculty analysis. We would also like students to be able to download and/or view all of their posts to review at the end of the semester in one place. This would create a type of e-portfolio for each student based on their work during the semester.

Added to Theme

85 Comments
Jeff_F
Community Champion

A few browser plug-ins may help - these enable exporting to pdf and of course then with Adobe one can export to Word.  Links, uploaded images, embedded media previews are retained with the first example.

Have fun!

dorgant
Community Participant

This would be really helpful before bulk deleting courses. We are getting ready to start deleting old courses, I know a few faculty that will want to save their discussions from said courses for research. Having a download option would mean we wouldn't have to come up with a workaround. 

nkirschn
Community Member

Great idea - good workaround for lack of ability to scan for plagiarism in discussions, and good for students too!

k_ackerlund
Community Novice

This would be an invaluable feature. Capturing each screen and compiling it in another program is very time-consuming.

Ken Ackerlund

Belllevue College

Interior Design

cssteele
Community Member

I found one partial solution that works. I tried it. See link below and click on the "Discussions" tab. It offers a solution to copy all posts at once from only one weekly thread at a time and paste in a doc. The student has to do it through the "Grades" menu.

If the link doesn't work, these are the brief steps:

-----

With Discussions, they'll simply access their post through Grades to see all posts/responses in a single Discussion thread, then select and save the content to their device:
  1. open a Discussion
  2. Control+A (PC) or Command+A (Mac) to "Select All" content on the screen
  3. you can then save the entire Discussion thread to your computer as a .pdf file, copy+paste into a word processing software, or print for your records.

https://swccd.instructure.com/courses/7697/pages/download-student-work-students

seking
Community Member

I would like this feature too!!

tslee
Community Participant

As a student, since I am able to export my submitted files in User Settings, it would also be great to have parity and be allowed to download posts I have made in discussion boards.

MichaelBoezi
Community Member

I'll add my support for this feature request – I'd like to be able to capture my own comments so that I can use them to build new lesson content for a subsequent term.

EstrellaCastill
Community Novice

WOW. Something so simple is not yet available. This is quite annoying.  Currently, some of my students cannot access all of the posts.  It's a glitch.  I wanted to download all of them and send them to all the students in one file.  Please add this feature! 

madsenk
Community Novice

Please add this feature. Am wondering how many requests over a 6-7 year period Canvas needs in order to add something that users would like?