[Discussions] Download discussion board posts

We would like to be able to download all of the discussion board posts from our course this semester for faculty analysis. We would also like students to be able to download and/or view all of their posts to review at the end of the semester in one place. This would create a type of e-portfolio for each student based on their work during the semester.

Added to Theme

85 Comments
dhulsey
Community Champion

@paul_greenberg ‌, thanks for posting this! It is a good stopgap solution, but the better situation would be the capacity to download each topic to run it through a plagiarism checker.

kspicer
Community Member

I would just like to chime in and reiterate Paul's post that it would be nice to have this implemented ... for those of us introduced in potentially looking to data analytics of student interest, etc., this would be quite nice ... I have myself been using some network analysis to actually map classsroom discussions ... a simple way to get a .csv that we could then easily get into our Python ecosystems would be wonderful ...

Steven_S
Community Champion

Given the way we are required to report plagiarism, it would help if we could download from the gradebook all posts by each student (one file per student), much the same as we can already download all assignment submissions. 

Steven_S
Community Champion

It is important to check all online submissions for plagiarism.  This idea would enable instructors to download, and scan discussion posts for plagiarism.  Another idea applies the same function to essay questions on quizzes: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15635-download-essay-questions 

lbarratt1
Community Participant

Still getting requests from instructors who want to do this.
This would be a wonderful option.

clint_tuttle
Community Novice

This thread has been open since 2016.  Just curious if this is going to happen?  

mcazcarate
Community Novice

I recently wrote to ask for this possibility too and happy to see that others find it necessary too! I would love to provide my students an end of the module pdf with their posts and the instructors feedback. Ideally, students names would remain invisible, just stating: student comment and instructor comment. I find this possibility rather urgent right now as a way to reach to all the students through remote teaching. It would be a nice way for them to look back to only one site and find the highlighted comments through out and I will do a short sum up with the  major points. 

sshealy
Community Novice

Being able to download all of a student's work and being able to download all responses to a particular discussion forum is crucial - what is the follow up plan for this request? Is there a moderator who follows this??

vrichter
Community Contributor

We really need this feature, both from an historical context (what did that student say in that class), and the students want to have the notes as part of their class notes.  It's so frustrating that one must cut&paste to get this content out.  Even a simple text file export would be so helpful to us.  Please consider this feature!

vrichter
Community Contributor

One more thing:  from a legal standpoint, the discussion board post is classwork and we need to be able to go back to a class and see the discussions.  Teachers would also like to be able to copy initial discussion board prompts to new classes.